wiring help for a byron transformer!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a wired doorbell a few months back which required a transformer, which i also bought. when i came to wire it up, noticed that there are no indications on the transformer on which end the wires should be connected. as i had left it a week or so before attempting it, i have misplaced/thrown away the instuctions for the transformer.

can it be wired either side (house electric and chime wire) or is it trial and error (try one way, then the other if it doesnt work) or is that dangerous??

quite handy to a point, but dont wanna risk it with electrics. the transformer is a byron 7770 transformer, tried their website for downloads but nothing available.

thanks in advance for any advice, sorry if its a stupid question!!

RS

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find it is engraved on the front cover of the tranny.

Remove the terminal covers and then take a picture (use macro setting on camera)
post the picture on here.

Sponsored Links
Measure the winding (DC) resistance with a multimeter - the higher resistance winding is the primary (mains) side.

Someone's not quite awake!!

Look at the picture of the tranny on Byron's website and you'll see on the front of the tranny (not the covers) there are arrows pointing to each end of the tranny, detailing which end is LV and which ELV.

OK, that's a great plan. :rolleyes:

You connect 230v to the secondary (8v) winding. That will turn the transformer into a step up. Assuming your 3A fuse holds up, would care to calculate how many volts will then be present across the primary terminals??

SS is correct but i couldn't quite see the markings from the web pic. That's why I asked for a photoo..

You connect 230v to the secondary (8v) winding. That will turn the transformer into a step up. Assuming your 3A fuse holds up, would care to calculate how many volts will then be present across the primary terminals??

On 240 V mains, about 1.9 kV :eek:

Oh dear... I appear to have upset someone on a sunday morning, but here goes...

Not nearly anywhere near as many as a quick calculation of the ratios would suggest, core saturation will see to that, shortly followed by the winding appearing as a simple resistive load across the supply and promptly being disconnected by the fuse.... :D

WOW! What a dumbass! I swear i studied it, which makes me sound dumber! couldnt see for looking. :oops:

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it.

another possibly dumb question, now i have found the primary connections (220-240v) which way do i wire live and neutral (assuming they r the wires i use, 2 connections so assume no earth)? and im pretty sure there r no markings to indicate this, even with the cover off. :confused:

added some pics if they help.

View media item 27575
View media item 27576
thanks in advance.

RS

You can put the L and N round either way. It does not matter.

The earth conductor must be be earthed at the supply end. It does not connect to the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back