BAXI 105E instant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have several problems with my BAXI 105E instant boiler, which is about 4 years old.

1. There is quite a bit of noise from the fan, I have applied WD to the bearing, but this seems to burn off quickly, and the problem re-appears after less than a day. This is a whining noise

2. Yesterday I came to use some HW, and found that the pump symbol was flashing and the boiler wouldn\\\'t fire, I reset the boiler several times and eventually it did fire, but there is quite a noise from the pump now as well. This is a humming noise - quite audible. I have heard that a 15/60 standard pump head will replace the factory fitted pump, can anyone confirm this? as the factory fitted version is £100 inc vat!

3. Pressure fluctuates a lot, after an hour or so of the boiler being off, the pressure drops to 0, then when it starts up again, there is a bit of noise, and eventually it picks up again and seems to settle just below the 1 bar point. (I have fitted a seperate expansion vessel to try and eleviate this problem to no avail)

4. Last year I had to have the hot water diagphram replaced as the hot water was not kicking in when turning on a tap, since then there has been a build up of limescale from the union at the bottom of the HW valve, and this does seem to weep slightly, is this something to be concerned about?

Sorry to bombard on my first visit! :oops:

Many thanks in anticpation,
Simon.

Sponsored Links
this might seem silly, but have you tried topping it up, pressure should sit at around 1 bar when cold................

Try proper oil on the fan( :rolleyes: ) bearings - eg car engine stuff.

ChrisR said:
Try proper oil on the pump bearings - eg car engine stuff.
Was this a slip of the keyboard ChrisR or do you know something I dont???

Anyway
1. I suggest you try using a bit of engine oil on the fan, but really its knackered and wants renewing. You could keep oiling it till you get sick of messing about with it I spose but you wont get away with that forever.

2. Pump sounds like its knackered as well or at least not long for this world. Could be just the capacitor but is it worth the chew when a replacement head should retail for less than or about 40 quid and less than a new pump in most cases.

3. If pressure drops to zero you need to top up the pressure. When you say fluctuates a lot, does it go right up to 3bar if so you have two useless pressure vessels. They could just need pumping up and dont forget to let a bit of water out of the PRV as you do it cos water doesnt compress and the air still needs a bit of room to squeeze into.

4. It is a minor issue but I would sort your other probs out first in the following order 1 pressure 2 pump and 3 fan

Sponsored Links
Thanks for everyones advise, I have a radiator to move this weekend, so I will make a plan to complete the work whilst the system is empty. ;)

New pump in, Grundfos 15/60, set speed to I - VERY quiet! Old one must have been knackered!

Only one remaining problem now, and that is boiler when running sounds like kettle boiling, have turned temp down on heating side, but is still quite noisey... any ideas?

Thanks,

Simon

Most combi's have pump speed set to max, suggest you do same
Kettling is caused by the water not moving past the heat source quickly enough therefore getting too hot and boiling up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back