Leaky extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First time posting so be gentle. I've currently got a ceiling mounted extractor fan. It's performed it's job for the last couple of years with no problem. However, this morning we noticed a damp ring on the paintwork around the extractor fan.

I immediately checked the loft, as the extractor is linked to a vent via flexi piping to the roof. I couldn't find any obvious leaks, so that rules a leaky roof out.

Only other thing I can think of is that the face of the extractor was beginning to become clogged with dust etc.

Any ideas what could be causing this water ring?

Sponsored Links
Hi your fan probably hasn't got a condensation trap fitted as it should have
and I think your post may better suited to the electics forum

Matt

As above. Installing a condensation trap would very likely help, but in many cases this is difficult as it requires somewhere for the condensation to drain to! If fitting one isn't possible, you may find that fitting insulated ducting (preferably solid as it doesn't allow so many places for water to sit!) may help. The inner walls of the duct will not be quite so cold, which should help to prevent the warm, moist air from the bathroom condensing in the cold air of the loft above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back