Trianco TRH45 Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There.

I am new here (obviously) and have joined up as I am really in need of some help!

We have recently moved into a small cottage and as it's coming up to winter it would be nice to have the heating on!

We have a Trianco TRH45 fire in the living room. As far as I am aware, once it is lit it feeds the radiators within the house with hot water. The hot water sent from a pump that runs at the water tank behind the fire.

It does not heat the water for the taps etc as this is done separately by an immersion tank.

As say as far as I aware, because really I do not know. We have no idea how it works or what fuel to put in it.

I presumed it would be some Solid fuel like smokeless coal or something but on the fire itself, it states "Use recommended fuels only, do not use COAL"

Because of this I am obviously confused!

I really need to get this sorted as for the last couple of weeks we have been using electric heaters and it's coasting us a fortune.

Hopefully someone will know what I am going on about and can help!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The correct fuel to use is Anthracite grains.
The fuel regulator plate in the hopper should be set at it's lowest setting.
(top hole)
It will definately heat the water tank and also one radiator which is used as a heat leak.

These fires are designed to burn Anthracite smokeless fuel

Thanks for your replies.

The fire just looks like it has one open well with a plate underneath to catch ash. I don't see any type of Hopper feed system in it at all?

There are 4 radiators in our cottage so I guess it heats them all. There is an electrical switch on the wall to the right of it so I guess that switches on the pump right?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
The TRH is a room heater/boiler and does not have an auto feed hopper (that's on the TRG free standing boiler). You load it like a normal fire and should use smokeless coal such as Ancit, Phurnacite, Coalite etc. Basically a smokeless coal in stove nut size, between the size of a coal and a grain.

You should find the boiler is connected to the cylinder by gravity circuit. You can check to see if there are F/R connections making 4 pipes at the cylinder. If so you can turn off immersion.

First of all, get it serviced and chimney/flue swept if it's been out of use.

There was a hopper-fed roomheater, which I thought was the TRH 45. If it is one of those, you need the smallest pea anthracite; if it is not hopper fed, you need anthracite stove nuts or similar. They will also burn Phurnacite, but I found that more expensive back in the 80s.

You need to study this appliance and find out everything you can about it and the system it is heating. It can do a good job, but there's more to using a solid fuel system than there is with oil or gas. You should get the hopper fed version serviced by someone who really knows his job, and can possibly advise you on its use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back