What size (length) Euro cylinder for a uPVC door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just aquired (legally!) a previously used Staybrite uPVC door (approx 2000 model year). The previous owner has kept the Euro cylinder to use in his new door.

Looking on ebay and the like there are an almost endless variety of size combinations - is there anyway from looking at the door/ mechanism to tell what size cylinder is required.

I've tried measuring between the 2 inside faces of the handles and get a measurement of abt 75mm - cld this mean I need a 40/40 cylinder, allowing for the thickness of the metal used in the handles / the cylinder being a little proud of the handle when fitted?

Any advise gratefully received

Many thabnks

Speedbird

Sponsored Links
If the door is open then find the hole in the mechanism used for the securing screw and measure from the centre of this hole outwards each way to the outside face of the handles, sizes increase in 5mm increments so find a size that finishes as close to flush with the handles but not short so that its below the handle surface, either flush or slightly over ia acceptable

http://www.locksonline.co.uk/resources/cylinder/Equal-Cylinder-Measure.gif

just a word of warning it is very rare to get a cylinder in UPVC doors that are equal length Eg 40/40 or 35/35 they are usually offset I.E 45/35 it still gives the overall length of 80mm like the 40/40 but the lock case in not normally central in the door edge
you are probably best to measure the overall thickness of the door including the levers/escutcheons to give an overall length required and then note the measurement at the centre of the deadbolt this should give you a rough idea of the required split your local ironmonger should help you out if needed though

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses - I emailed the person I got the door from and he was able to confirm to me that I do indeed require a 40/40 as this was what he used in the door and has transferred to his new door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back