Aluminium Oxide Grit - Any Difference Between Manufacturers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need a few rolls of Aluminium Oxide Grit and was looking on eBay for some and there is plenty of it available. Is it all the same regardless of manufacturer, after all, it is just grit bonded to a backing paper, or, is there more to it than this? There are rolls available from Mirka, Hilka, Endless Green, Faithfull, Bosch etc at varying prices pro rata for 10m rolls. All I need it for is removing paint from wood and getting a finish before painting.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
AFAIK it`s just as you say - so go cheap , but buy the coarse stuff then as it wears keep it and use as a finer one :idea:

Hi jack

Not all ali oxides are created equal, the colour of the paper is an indicator of the quality/type.

Will try to find a link for you shortly.

If you want some 40 or 60 grit I could post you some- it's years old (but fine) and I seldom hand sand these days. Send me a pm

opps,

Thank you for the reply.

I found out a bit more of the technical stuff in connection with Aluminium Oxide Grit which might be useful to others. Apparently, there is "half open" and "fully open" spec re the actual grit, the fully open is supposedly less likely to clog and slightly more flexible compared to the half open. Also, the backing paper is rated A to F with F being the most robust.

In the end I ordered a 50 metre x 115mm roll of "fully open" 40 grit on grade E backing paper from eBay, it was only £11.15p for the roll so I hope I am sorted out for shifting the paint from woodwork, however, many thx for your kind offer to post me some, most appreciated.

I thought I would buy a large roll from eBay after checking the prices in my local builders merchants (£1.40 per metre). The eBay seller I got it from combines postage on multiple items so I got some other stuff at the same time and kept the postage costs down.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
40 is a very coarse grit used for shifting wood and plaster and stuff like that. An average grade would be about 80 grit.

Hello WhiteVanJack,I need some of this stuff,don't know much about ORDERING ON ebay,any chance of giving me a lead on where you got yours?

hillmarket,

The link pasted below is the stuff that I bought. I got several different grit sizes from 40 to 240 and used the sellers maximum combined postage charge of £5.90p to cover all items for postage.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sparicomth...Q_sidZ875487598?LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=roll+grit

It has not arrived yet so I cannot comment on the quality, I will know a bit better later this week when I use some. It has a decent spec according to the description so I thought it was worth a chance.

Rgds
Jack

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi Jack,Very grateful for yr reply.Would you mind very much letting me know if the goods measure up to expectations once rec'd?
Thanks,

H'Market

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back