Wilo 50 Circulating Pump - preventing boiler firing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Two days ago, when i turned my heating on first thing in the morning, it immediately tripped the mains RCD. I went out to the boiler (its in a little 'outhouse' in the back yard) and flicked the isolator switch, changed the fuse and tried again. Same result.

Starting from the switch, I began to check for any loose or corroded wiring but couldn't find anything obvious. I decided i would check the wiring to the circulating pump (Wilo Gold 50), and when i opened the black case, a small amount of water came out. I tightened the water pipe which had a really slow drip leak that had got into the pump compnent cover.

I dried it all up, and tested the boiler again. It fired up nicely, then cut off after about 30 mins (tripping the mains again). This time without any water involved that i could see. I was able to fire up again immediately and it ran then for about 5 mins before tripping. Now it doesn't do anything when switched on, it doesn't even trip the mains any more.

During the tests, the burner fired up and did a bit of heating. But now it also doesn't start.

My questions is, does the pump in my system control the boiler firing? ie. if the pump is knackered, the boiler wont fire up. Is it safe to test that i have a pump problem by disconnecting it and trying to see if the boiler starts without the pump in the circuit?

I'd like to narrow it right down if possible to obtain the parts before calling out someone to replace the pump.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Boiler is a Reillo 40 if that matters.

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Its ok to disc the pump to prove that it is faulty.You need also to describe other system controls.Is it gravity hot water and pumped heating as an example

thanks for the quick reply,

there is only one pump in the system and its a small terraced house, so i guess that the water is pumped up to the main tank (hot press) and on through the radiators powered by the same pump(?)

apologies for the lack of knowledge, i'm just trying to diagnose as best i can before forking out on components

appreciate the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back