Stiff Radiator Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The plasterer is coming tomorrow to plaster all the walls in my sons bedroom, so today, i thought i had better remove a radiator.

I managed to tighten the left hand valve, and i did manage to get some movement on the rright hand valve after loosening it with WD40 and working it gently backwards and forwards with molegrips. I thought i had it closed, but after 3-4 buckets of water being drained i realised the valve must still be open. Now, it doesnt want to move and the top of it has a slightly new shape !

I have an older fashioned tank in the loft - not combi boiler.

Any ideas on how to losen it ?

Many thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
if there is a nut on the valve just below the valve head/plastic cover (that the valve stem itself passes through) loosen it a bit, (just a quarter turn or so) this should loosen the valve stem itself enough for you turn it off hopefully be careful not to snap it as most are brass & are quite brittle.

if there is a nut on the valve just below the valve head/plastic cover (that the valve stem itself passes through) loosen it a bit, (just a quarter turn or so) this should loosen the valve stem itself enough for you turn it off hopefully be careful not to snap it as most are brass & are quite brittle.

You are 100% correct - It snapped off !! No leaks, so waiting for plumber to come out and replace the valve. Plasterer says he can feather in around the rad in the meantime.

Many thanks for your reply.

Al the best

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back