Zanussi 1050 Quick N Clean problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm no expert, but am prepared to try anything to rectify this problem we have just had.

last night the machine was switched on, and water started leaking from the 'powder/conditioner tray/compartment' Also, the machine won't 'fast spin'. It does the slow spin fine, but when it tries to fast spin, you can hear the motor(I think thats what I can hear??) start whirring up, but then immediately stops, and it carries on limping along with a slow spin intermittently...

Also, for a while now, the machine occasionally leaves dirty marks on random clothing items.

Please help urgently! Im prepared to try anything, else it looks like a new one (which I am unable to pay for!)

Shaun

Sponsored Links
When you say it leaked from the soap drawer, do you mean it filled right to the top of the drum then overflowed from the soap drawer? The dirty marks could indicate bearing failure but might just be a blocked filter, preventing the machine from rinsing properly. If it is over-filling you most likely have a choked water level presure vessel. This could also cause the spin behaviour you describe as the spin is inhibited until the pressure switch signals that the water level is low enough.

Hi, Thanks for the fast reply :)

We've just drained it and tried it again to confirm what happened last night.

We've just started it again. It fills up, to a lower level than normally, according to my wife. It is filling to just below the level of the door glass.

This time, the water did not come out of the soap drawer, it appears that may have been an isolated incident, as, prior to this test, I cleaned out the filter at the bottom of the washer, and I also withdrew the soap tray and cleaned all the orifices inside it (a lot of gunk inside).

So, previously, I can answer NO, it did not fill to the top of the drum and overflow.

1- it fills slightly
2. It slow spins
3. It tries to fast spin, but no luck.
4. stil, intermittent slow spins

Cheers,

Shaun

Is the water auctually pumping out of the machine during the spin cyle?

Try lowing the drain hose to ground level, into a bucket then making sure that the machine is fully empty and restart the long/fast spin cyle without any laundry in the machine. Make sure you keep the outlet hose to ground level at all times, if the machine spins correctly this time, then the fault will almost certainly be the pump. BTW these were very unreliable on this particular model, they were prone to stalling or the impeller breaking off giving symtoms like you are describing

Sponsored Links
Try it on a fabric conditioner rinse setting i.e. just before the final spin. At that point it should fill to about 2 inches up the glass.

Okay, I tried Fido's idea first, being the easiest. I tried it on the Fabric Conditioner rinse setting, and the water did not rise 2 inches up the glass. It remained below the level of the glass.

I let it run on to the final rinse cycle after that, and it tried to fast spin, but was only able to spin at low speed - i.e. I could hear it try to spin fast, the motor picked up but then died, and went back to a slow spin, intermittently.

As for 'baby_belling' - I can say that the water DID pump out of the drum during the spin cycle.

At this moment I have not yet tried to lower the drain hose to ground level, as per baby_bellingss advice.

Should I try this???

Many thanks for al your 'excelent' advice so far!! :)

Shaun

I still think it could be related to the pressure switch (or switches, some Zanussis have two). There is another check you can try to eliminate this suspect:make sure the drum is empty, take the lid off the machine and remove the thin rubber hose from the pressure switch (round plastic device mounted near the top of the machine). Now run the machine on a fast spin setting and see if it spins properly. Another possibility is a loose or broken tacho magnet on the motor. If you look under the machine at the motor, you should see a small coil fitted on the back end. Inside that there is a magnet screwed on the end of the motor spindle. That magnet sometimes comes unscrewed and pushes the coil out of place.

This may seem silly, but the screws holding the lid on my washer are like torx screwheads with a thin piece of metal going down the centre. Any idea how to remove these?

Shaun

If you have ordinary torx bits you could probably drill out the centre pip. You can buy a set of security bits for these screws from DIY and car accessory shops.

Hi fido,

Thanks fo all your help so far.

Ironically, a family member has just given us thir old washing machine which seems to be working fine (Hotpoint Electronic 800 deluxe - it was my grandfather's... so it's at least 14 years old) - the only thing is it hums when the drum turns. My instinct tells me it is the motor, if it is, what could/should I do? Or, is it safe to let it run while it hums??

Okay, back to the Zanussi - I managed to hammer out the pips in the screwheads, and eventually got the back off of the machine.

I found the circular device and removed the thin hose temporarily, but at the lower end, where it connects the other plastic device, not at the pressure switch end.

Anyhow, set it to 'fast spin', and the same problem occurred - not able to fast spin.

Right then, I have 'just' taken a look at the motor magnet, and YES, the tiny magnet had unscrewed itself from the coil! I have re-screwed it back in to the threaded hole in the motor.

The coil however, keeps falling out of it's place. Is there meant to be a cap or something which stops the coil falling out????

I mean, of course, the washer is laid down on it's front right now, so the coil can 'only' fall out, due to gravity, but when I set the washer upright again, I don't want this to happen again. Is there a specific 'way' to fit the coil??

Kind Regards

Shaun

Not sure about the Hotpoint. The best thing to do is run it with the lid off and see if there are any big sparks in the motor. If not it might just be the motor bearings, which will carry on for years after they get noisy. On older Hotpoints the doorswitch sometimes buzzes, you can check for that by pulling gently on the door handle and seeing if the sound changes.

Some of those motors have a large star washer that clips on to hold the coil in place but others seem to be held with superglue or something similar. I sometimes just put the coil in place and run a bead of silicone sealer round the edge. If you do this you need to wait for it to set before using the machine.

A *huge* congratulations, and thankyou on your accurate diagnosis.

I put the Zanussi back together after finding the star washer and refitting the coil/magnet.

I re fitted the wahser and it runs BETTER than before.

Thank you Fido!

Shaun

p.s. - the hotpoint problem, I checked the door handle and it wasn't that what was buzzing.

The wife washed some clothes and the washer has stretched and item of clothing (that we had on a 40 degre wash, low spin!) - so the Zanussi is back in it's place now!

If there is a way I can rate you, let me know - I would be glad to. :LOL:

glad i came across this post had to sign up to pose a question.
thanks to this post i know now or think i know how to take theb ack of this machine.
i'm having the same kinda probley here.
i thought it was just the belt coming off the drum of which i found realy difficult to put back on with out the back off.
but when i finally got the belt back on i found if the belt is lined up on to the motor spindlewhere the belt edge finishes flush with the motor spindle the belt is hanging half way off on the drum wheel.
so i've moved the belt over on the motor spindle so its kinda half on,then the belt round the drum wheel is lined up just to the edge of the drum wheel now.
plus i'm having same problem with motor as its not spining to even doing a wash cycle movement.
but with the belt off the motor does work & spin.

so i was wondering do you think this could have any thing to do with the tacho magnet on the motor.
because it seem to me that the motor spindle is not linded up to the drum wheel.

i'm fixing it for a friend who's house i have to go & visit to do.
so i'd like to be fore armed with info before i have to go back & have another attempt as this friend live's quite a disstance from me.

i was thinking off getting a new set off brush's for the motor,cause even if its not the brush's they probaley will need changing soon.

I very much doubt you will get a reply from any of those who posted. The question was asked over 3 years ago, and none of the above are still here.

The speed this forum moves at, anything over a month is old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back