Socket Melted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, 1st timer..

I have a double socket in my utility room and this has a washing machine and a dryer on it. i went to unplug it and found the plug had melted into the socket - what would cause this?

Havent touched it - but cant isolate it, as its on the same ring as the downstairs circuits...

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
A double socket will overheat if two large appliances, such as a washing machine and a tumble drier, are used on it at the same time. The other common cause of overheating is a loose connection.

You have to replace the socket and the plugs, and examine the wiring behind the socket for darkening of the copper or scorching of the insulation, and replace or cut back if found. Turn off at the main switch first before unscrewing the socket or trying to prise the plugs out. Preferably have one or more new (single) sockets fitted or it will happen again. The minimum change would be to fit two single sockets and a dual box, this requires least damage to the wall. You will need a qualified electrician who is a member of a Competent Person Scheme if it is in a kitchen, for legal reaaons.

Sponsored Links
They're not in the kitchen - they're in the utility room. I've taken it off the wall and it looks like its a single backbox with a double converter type socket on - this safe? Its cracked an black - the wires from the wall look clean.

Should i get a sparky in to make a designated socket?

a photo would help a lot...

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

btw rather than leaving the wires hanging out :eek: fit a single socket on. If it is a ring circuit you will have two each of red, black, and greenandyellow, (or brown, blue, and greenandyellow) and it is important these are firmly fixed into their terminals

yes. It would be best to ask around for recommendations of a local electrician. When phoning, ask which Self Certification Scheme he is in, and how long he has been a member. This is not a guarantee of quality, but would you use a minicab with an unlicenced driver?

MK will still melt with that sort of load on it.
thought MK ones were the only ones designed to have two 13A loads ?
I thought they were 20A?

t246920.jpg

that would be one good solution. In my utility room I have a ridiculous number of single sockets in two rows above the worktop for this very reason (I happened to have a lot of single sockets left over at the time). This approach will involve chasing out the plaster and redecorating afterwards.

However, as BAS has pointed out, an MK double socket is unusual in being rated for two appliances, and this would be an even easier solution. MK is a premium brand and has a long reputation for good quality accessories (though they are cutting costs a bit these days). As it is not in a kitchen you could do this yourself, provided you carefully examine all the cable ends for any damage or heat tarnishing..

An alternative approach would be to have two singles fitted in place of the old double, and you can get a Dual Box which will be reasonably easy to fit, but not look quite as neat, and will need a small amount of plaster work.

Ok, thats the plan then, if the wife lets me make some mess :)

Some final questions..

1. Theres 2 wires in the wall - shall i presume its a ring circuit?
2. If above is yes, then should i run new wires from the fusebox to the new socket locations and somehow run a cable to the older socket - to keep it in a ring - or get a new breaker to make the utility room its own circuit?
3. Trunking - metal or plastic?
4. Can i really do this myself? Legally i mean? I'm a Technician, and learn pretty quick, but i read theres a scheme on the building regs which means people like me can only re-wire a plug.. this right?

1) you mean two cables, each with 3 wires in them? To find out if it is a ring, turn off the power, test for dead, and then test for continuity between the two reds (or browns), the two blacks (or blues), and the two greenandyellows. Never assume.

2) No

3) Plastic, or, better, chase them into the wall. If you insist on surface mounting, use plastic mini-trunking.

4) You are permitted to replace a faulty socket, or add one on an existing circuit unless it is in a bathroom, kitchen, sauna etc, without Notifying; but it still has to be done and tested correctly.

Yeh, both cables have 3 wires, Red-L, Blk-N, Earth.

how do i test for continuity? do i need to buy a meter or something?

Looks like ill be gettin a sparky in, as although im happy to do the cable runs, the final connections are best done by an expert...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back