outside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello......some advice would be most appreciated...I have an outside double plug socket which is attached to a large white rcd which has broken...my helpful neighbour cut the plug off and replaced it with an old plug from a hand held mixer and simply swapped the fuses from the rcd and the said mixer...my teenage son says this is highly dangerous....is it??

Sponsored Links
Ideally the socket itself should be 30mA RCD protected. If not as might be the case in an older installation then your appliances should have the protection with the use of an plugtop style or in-line RCD.
You increase your risk of a dangerous electric shock using appliances outdoors without one if a fault occurs. What your neighbour has done is irresponsible and has no business doing this type of work.

hmm maybe I have got this even more wrong than I thought....some time ago I bought an outside double socket which is a waterproof box attached to it was a cable and on the end a large white plug witha 13 amp fuse and a reset button which was green. The plug part plugs into the house socket and then the cable goes to the outside socket giving it power (through the wall)....I assumed it was an rcd clearly not.... its this white plug which has been replaced with a mixer plug??

Sponsored Links
He says the neighbour replaced the fuse in the RCD, WHAT FUSE? they don't have fuses. :confused:
They do if they are like this:

p4771960_x.jpg

hmm maybe I have got this even more wrong than I thought....some time ago I bought an outside double socket which is a waterproof box attached to it was a cable and on the end a large white plug witha 13 amp fuse and a reset button which was green. The plug part plugs into the house socket and then the cable goes to the outside socket giving it power (through the wall)....
Did you apply for Building Regulations approval?

I assumed it was an rcd clearly not.... its this white plug which has been replaced with a mixer plug??
It is an RCD plug, and what your neighbour did is quite safe as long as the socket in the house is RCD protected (at 30mA) or, if it isn't, as long as you disconnect and don't use the outside socket any more.

The op should have said exactly what he had. On the information given the comment was vald.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back