Viessmann Vitodens 100 - Control Unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got one of the above boilers and I suspect the ignition module and control unit are faulty (after the research I have done). No volts are going to the ignition module...

Can anyone tell me:

Are the different part numbers of control units interchangeable? Looks like the early control units have been superseded - they probably have a different part number...

My boiler has 7190646. Are any of the following suitable?

I will be replacing the ignition module as a matter of course.

I believe my boiler is type 7184559

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Sponsored Links
OK - so I've checked and our boiler is a

- it seems to need 7828516, but I don't know whether that's the only part that is compatible.

Andrew

Tried contacting Viessmann? They should know. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bet on it, took them 3 attempts to send us the correct pump for a vitodens 200
I gave them
the gc no
the model no
the serial no
and the viessmman part no on the actual pump(and told them it was a rebranded wilo smart pump)

Rant over

Sponsored Links
You are correct - 7828516 is the current pcb for a 7179916 boiler.
Fit a new ignition transformer 7828522 as well.

Thanks guys... Looking at £200 for the pcb. Is there a cheaper way? I've no way of knowing whether any of the others listed in my original post will "do"... I can get these rather cheaper.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks guys...

Looking at £200 for the pcb. Is there a cheaper way? I've no way of knowing whether any of the others listed in my original post will "do"... I can get these rather cheaper.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew, you have chosen not to tell us what fault code the boiler displays and what colour the ignition unit is or when the boiler was installed. For example are you sure of exactly whats wrong with the boiler? When did the warrantee run out?

Manufacturers staff are not always so helpful to people who have bought their boilers and sometimes dont want to tell you if a cheaper part will work and encourage you to take the more expensive option.

Try calling their office number and ask if the ( cheaper ) part number will work in your boiler. But its pot luck if you will get someone who is going to be helpful or not.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Sorry I didn't supply that info - I'd already gone beyond that stage in my investigation.

It's F4'ing. The current ignition module is turquoise. It is being replaced today by my local heating engineer but I don't have confidence that replacing it will fix the problem.

I have checked and there are no volts being supplied to the module so I fear that the control unit is faulty too. The manufacturer was helpful but told me I needed the exact part no. supplied.

Thanks,

Andrew

You still have not said when it was installed.

The failure of the ignition units affected virtually all those boilers often with a few days or weeks. I changed them at installation to save my customers any inconvenience.

The latest type is black and so far I have not had any fail.

The F4 error code is virtually always just the ignition module at fault and replacing it solves the problem.

Tony

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help and advice. The boiler was installed over 5 years ago. Sadly, we only realised the existence of the Viessmann service after getting our local heating engineers involved. They replaced the ignition module but it didn't solve the problem. I'd previously measured the volts going to the module - there weren't any. So, we dismissed the local heating engineers and bought a new PCB module ourselves. This was the quickest way to get a resolution and the same price as the Viessmann service. Unfortunately (overall) it will have cost us more than the Viessmann service but we know to try it in the future.

The replacement PCB solved the issue. My belief is that the ignition module failing caused the PCB to fail also.

Hopefully this will be the end of the problems with the boiler (for now)!

I have learnt a lot about how it works. Now I would like to build my own timer. I hate the one supplied. It's just so difficult to understand with all those funny symbols and hand icons. What's it on about?!? (no answer required ;) )

Thanks,

Andrew

Make sure you have the latest black ignition transformer part number 7828522 fitted as well as the new pcb.

I have had my vitodens 100 boiler for 3 years now and it has not run any year without service. The first thing to go was a flap in the boiler that regulates air usage. That needed to be replaced. Now i keep getting F4 fault t seems i have an ignition problem codes. I will have the piso spark lighter changed next and see if it works.

Please note that part numbers and models are different in the USA and Canada.

A lack of correct output voltages from the pcb on one of these boilers does not necessarily indicate a duff pcb. If the ignition transformer sends a false positive ionisation current to the pcb [when there shouldn't be a flame at pre-purge] the pcb will go correctly to lockout and show an F4 fault. This particular problem can be cured by a new ignition transformer part no 7828522
The Vitodens 100 type WB1A was superseded over two years ago by the WB1B version,.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I've just had the F4 issue intermittently on a WB1A and fixed it without replacing the main board. It turned out, for me at least, that replacing a single inexpensive transistor was all that was required.

As others have said, the voltage to the ignition module (blue to black) should be ~120V DC when idle and ~300V DC when igniting (Note that there is also an AC voltage present). When mine wasn't functioning, there were zero volts to the module.

The transistor in question is marked with a red dash in the picture and just 8AC on the top. It seems to be a BC846CMTF. When the boiler was functioning correctly, at idle the DC voltages at the base, collector and emitter were 5.5, 16.9 and 5.5 respectively. When not working, the voltages were roughly the same with the exception of the emitter which was at zero. When igniting, the voltage at the base goes to about 9V DC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back