RSJ installed badly? - Please comment on photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House renovations nearly finished, but having discovered the roof is rubbish (see my other post), am worried now about the opening I had done between 2 reception rooms.

At the time of installation, builder claims he used Engineer's Calcs, although I never saw them. He did not apply to BC for B'Regs (told me we didnt need - I didnt see fit to question til now) however I am now considering Regularisation, or at least getting another builder to expose and remedy where necessary.

I'd be grateful for any comments, positive or otherwise, based on these pics I took during the works (one of either side):

Sponsored Links
Firstly, it's a structural wall so definitely need building regs approval for the works that have been carried out. If your builder has had calcs done, ask for a copy of them. If he doesn't give them to you you'll have to get an SE to try to prove what's there is satisfactory.

Not sure what the black stuff is around the ends of the beam, but it doesn't look like it's sat on proper padstones. Might not need them, but I'd always put them in for a spine wall beam.
Doesn't look like you've got much masonry left either end of the beam, and as it looks very much like a spine wall, it's important for stability. I'd want wider piers for stability or alternatively steel columns in place.
The beam itself looks like a 152 deep section and if the wall is half brick thick, then probably a 152x89 UB...which seems small for a beam in a spine wall spanning over 3 metres.
Of course it depends on what it's carrying? Floors, loft, wall above (masonry or stud), possibly roof load.
If it's a 152x89, I'd be very surprised if it was sufficient.

Give us more information on the span of the beam, what it's carrying, and what size the beam is, and will be able to more accurately give advice on whether BC will be happy.

defo doge m8 no peers for the steels to sit on tut tut
so when they drop the rest of the wall whats stoping them disterbing the rest of it :eek: was there slate shims used for packing was there a set gage of morter and are they tying it in the the old brick above
is there a plan on paper for the steels iv put up loads of steels most of them to pick up the load of the sides of houses **** loads of beam work welding and pad stones just dont look right to me
have a look at some of mine
DSC00399.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00390-1.jpg

DSC00394-1.jpg

and the steel isn sprayed (rust/fire proofer) your ment to have a hour burn time on steels are them stamped was they singed off from a steel ferm (or is it out of a scrap yard)

Sponsored Links
**** me iv just looked at the pics agen just seen the wooden prop LOL id get thm cowboys off site asap jokers i wanner know what thell say if the steel drops when the wall is taken out
(think that was the door dear)
(nop that was the builders just leaving he said bee back lattrer for the cash)

(invoice guarenteed by bodge it and scarper)

I can't see anything wrong with the installation

The timber prop is OK too - although I probably would have put it in between the two acros, and not on the end

**** me iv just looked at the pics agen just seen the wooden prop LOL id get thm cowboys off site asap jokers i wanner know what thell say if the steel drops when the wall is taken out
(think that was the door dear)
(nop that was the builders just leaving he said bee back lattrer for the cash)

(invoice guarenteed by bodge it and scarper)

What's the best way of going about getting it sorted? What cost am I looking at? A friendly builder quoted approx £300 (£90 to expose, the balance to raise steel and put in padstones and also i think put slate above the steel). Plus more for engineer's calcs.

Also do i need to involve BC or can I just get the calcs done, and take photos to prove all done correctly.

id get the steel ferm to give you the paper work for the beam plus dit you get plans for the opening in the first place id get bc in just to ok it all first (size of the steel size of the opening pad stone ect)
id look in to having brick/block peairs as the old brick work looks ****
id say the price is about right me thinks if you want ill sort it all out for ya as it says you in london so just down the road

Isn't it time the Mods stopped plstering from spamming the forums? :confused:

spamming the forums ??????????????? you meen i know what im doing and you dont like it sorry (not)

Yes you know what you are doing - spamming the forums with somebody's work but no proof it's even yours. As for you knowing your job - you post a load of bollix at times. You should be banned (again) :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back