Geberit problems - supply not shutting off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can help advise me on this - did do as much searching as I could on similar issues, but everything seems to be related to seal problems rather than the supply mechanism specifically.

Background: I acquired a Twyfords Indulgence toilet to replace a Gala item that had developed a leak issue (common issue it seems on this toilet, with no replacement seal available). My parents bought the toilet new about 18 months ago from Homesupply, but couldn't install due to incompatibility issues. I got to benefit from a free hand me down as they waited too long to be able to return it. The toliet comes preinstalled with a Geberit dual flush system. Connected everything up last weekend, and discovered two problems:

1. The water supply (side feed, dual flush system) doesn't shut off as the float rises. Even if you manually lift the mechanism as high as it will go, water continues to feed through the valve. Result is that water keeps filling until it trickles back down the overflow pipe in the centre. I don't believe there is a problem with the seal at the base (but see problem 2).

Solutions? Adjusting the white screw to change hight of float makes no difference. Is it likely to be faulty - although 18 months old, it's never been used. Are there any other adjustments I can make? Twyfords sent me the instructions for installing the flush mechanism, which includes some factory preset settings for heights of flush and float etc. I can check all these are as intended, but can't say I'm confident it will work since the valve simply doesn't seem to operate.

2. Leak from floor under the pan. Not much, just a dribble coming out from the front (haven't siliconed the pan to floor as it's only a temporary install until I redo the bathroom). I used a B&Q flexi connector for ease, which I gather is a poor choice and I suspect could be my leak source - is this likely? Seems a McAlpine is a recommended alternative, and I intend to source one asap to replace the B&Q jobbie.

Any advice appreciated - especially on the Geberit water supply issue

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Same problem. I got theory about it: If you disassemble flush system, there should be little rubber disc inside. I believe it gotta suck :) to block water flow. Any contamination may corrupt its tightness. Mine was dirty so I cleaned it. Everything worked fine for like 2 months then broke. :D I disassembled it and it turned out to be dirty again so I'm cleaning it right now.

General thought: Why anyone took perfectly good old-school, classic flushing mechanism and invented this crap?!? It is far too complicated for its prosaic appliance.

Sponsored Links
I forgot about one important step. I greased this rubber disc to improve its tightness. I used kitchen oil for this. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back