socket wiring ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive been up in the loft of my two bed flat looking at the wiring. and from what i can work it the sockets are not in a ring. is that an issue.
i dont no an awfull lot about wiring so not sure. ive done a little diagram for u to see.

wiring1.jpg

Sponsored Links
If thats the layout of the wiring, its HIDEOUS!

Anyway, the two cables that come from the fusebox - do they go into the same breaker inside?

Are they the same size?

yh into the same breaker and they are the same size. its 1950s but apears to have been re wired maybe in the last 20 years or so.

Sponsored Links
Apart from looking in the loft, have you loosen all the sockets off to check for other cables that follow a different route?

For example, there may be cables that do not pass through the loft. They may be under the floor, or buried horizontally in the wall.

its a 32 mcb ive had the fronts of the sockets, thats the lot other than the kitchen and hall which is seperate.

Assuming 2.5 mm2 cable has been used, it looks like you will have to fit a 20 amp MCB.

Or make into a ring. Don't forget you are allowed spurs, but under certain conditions.

If the wiring is 4 mm2 you may be ok.

i think its 2.5 i might be wrong. if it is shall i lower the mcb then? so its not dangerous as it is? its obvioulsy been like it for a while and from what i no never had no problems.

It's a bit like driving a car with imperfect brakes and no seat belt.

You'll be absolutely fine until something goes wrong.

So whats the best thing to do? Other than rewire? Can I join the two sockets in the top of the drawing via a junction box in the loft. To create a ring.

Ill double check it tonight. So I literally wire the two wires into a juction box to create the ring and that will ease the load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back