Replacing T&E cable that feeds an outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have noticed that my outside light has a damaged section of 2.5mm T&E and needs replacing. It is damaged near the external hole in the brick wall.

This work has highlighted another area that may also require attention.

I have read that some people on this forum recommend passing the cable through a conduit as it crosses cavity. If so, what conduit do I use for 2.5mm T&E?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
...and if you are buying conduit (20mm) then you might as well enclose the T&E within it on the outside of the building for the reasons posted above.

You should install a conduit box at the damaged location to make your repair. but ideally the cable should be replaced and its source investigated.

The 2.5mm T&E was just how the previous owner had done the installation.

I saw the damage to the T&E when I was repairing a nearby window frame. It looks like it was probably damaged from install. Although I guess UV etc has been affecting it.

Once I replace the cable I was thinking of moving the light 20cm to cover the exit hole in the brick wall.

As the light is on a kitchen wall and it connected to a fused spur, above a kitchen cabinet, it is possible that the cable could be connected to anything. I'll investigate carefully.

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it, I don't think I have a 20mm drill bit, so I couldn't install conduit of that size.

Assuming that the spur connects to a lighting circuit, can I still connect 3-core flex to the switched spur and place that flex in conduit to cross the cavity etc?

If so, what conduit would I use in the wall? I currently have a hole that has a diameter of 1-2mm wider than 2.5mm T&E and it might save me buying another long drill bit!

Although, regarless of my choice of cable, do I still need to use a 20mm conduit?

Thinking about it, I don't think I have a 20mm drill bit, so I couldn't install conduit of that size.

Assuming that the spur connects to a lighting circuit, can I still connect 3-core flex to the switched spur and place that flex in conduit to cross the cavity etc?

If so, what conduit would I use in the wall? I currently have a hole that has a diameter of 1-2mm wider than 2.5mm T&E and it might save me buying another long drill bit!

Although, regarless of my choice of cable, do I still need to use a 20mm conduit?

You could use 16mm........

I've seen FP used for outside lights which has perished within a couple of years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back