Inset Gas fire replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ALL,

I have purchased a new inset gas fire to replace an inset gas fire, the plumber has told me he requires a certificate to show the chimney has been swept. When I pointed out that the gas fire was still in situ and should it not be removed first he said a chimney sweep has a couple of ways of doing it. I assume he meant from the top only.

Sounds inlikely? also slightly concerned if my new fire will be a direct replacement. its an EKO 3020 gas, the old one is about 20 years old.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
He is talking sh#te can only be swept properly if fire removed.
And only needs doing if its ever been used for solid fuel. If its only ever been used for gasfire it doesnt need doing

is your plumber a gas reg'd engineer as well ? if not then he shouldn't be faffing around with your new fire install.
he's not just done a job in salford has he by any chance? kaa booooom !

right man for the job......always.

Sponsored Links
As said, he is wrong. A flue must be swept if it has previously been used for solid fuel or wood. Some fitters argue that this means that even if it a gas fire REFIT, if it has EVER been used for S/F a sweep is reruired. I personally inspect, observe and use my judgement.

It is clear that your fitter is clueless, and even if it does need sweeping then he should remove the fire in anticipation. He should also visually inspect the builders opening to ascertain that it is properly sealed etc.

Make sure you haf a Gas Safe RGI, and he is ticketed AND experioenced with fires

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back