Proposed boiler in loft space, freeholder says fire risk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm planning to move (and replace) my combi boiler into the loft as part of a kitchen refurb. [When I say 'I', obviously I mean pay a Gas Safe installer rather than DIY in this case.]

I am in a top floor flat so the loft is directly above and a lot of the plumbing is routed through the loft anyway. Since my flat is leasehold I don't own the roof or the loft and so need the freeholder's permission. He says that boilers in lofts are a fire risk since a kitchen has fire resistant ceiling, door and a fire would be more noticeable. As such he won't give his permission.

I have a British Gas service contract on the old boiler and asked the service technician what he though of my plan some time ago, he said it was perfectly feasible and made no mention of fire risk so I assume it's not an issue with Gas Safe or building regs. What's your opinion?

I wonder what the likelihood of a boiler starting a room fire is anyway. I also think I'd notice a fire by smoke and CO alarms rather than stumbling upon it. On the other hand I can sort of see his point that the loft is full of exposed timbers and so a fire would be pretty devastating. Would appreciate your views.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
No reason why a new boiler cannot be fitted , providing certain citeria are met ! however as u say its lease hold , do not think u are even allowed to store goods in a lease hold loft with out permission ??

If the Building owner doesn't want your boiler in his loft, then thats his call if I was in his shoes I would not wnat a leaseholders boiler in my communial loft either!!

It is very unlikely that your boiler would catch fire BUT. if it did and the roof was burnt undetected it would render the entire building uninhabitable!! ...losss of rent etc etc so you will have to include your boiler into your new kitchen!! ;)

Perhaps he is worried about the installer useing a blow lamp ??

Sponsored Links
transam";p="1788808 said:
Perhaps he is worried about the installer useing a blow lamp ??[/quot

Then surely he must have to have Liability Ins,no?.

By the way, can someone please tell me the difference between freehold and leasehold?.

Freehold - you Own the property outright
Leasehold- You own a lease usually 99years but you never actually own the property ;)

Thanks for replies. Just to clarify - the loft isn't mine but isn't communal either. The only access to it is from inside my property. There are 3 lofts in the property, one above each top floor flat and one above the stairwell, all separated by internal walls.

libby lou lou";p="1788816 said:
Perhaps he is worried about the installer useing a blow lamp ??[/quot

Then surely he must have to have Liability Ins,no?.

By the way, can someone please tell me the difference between freehold and leasehold?.

There is no legal requirement to hold public liability insurance , neither is it a condition of being a member of gas safe !!

You should only fit your boiler on your own property, The access to the loft could be changed by the freeholder at any time, you wouldn't fit your boiler in your neighbours shed? Its the same principle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back