3 flex cables into 13A mains socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During a redecoration I've been swapping some old 13A single sockets for more modern looking ones from the GET Ultimate range.

One problem I have is that in a couple of places there ring has been spurred at the socket and so I have to connect 3 flex multicore wires into each terminal and it has turned out to be quite problematic getting them to fit securely into the terminals.

I've looked at fitting bootlace ferrules to ensure a good quality contact and have noticed that you can get twin entry ones, but of course I have 3 wires not 2 so would need a triple entry!

Would it be ok to fit a single bootlace ferrule onto each wire and then insert these into the terminal? Would they fit and provide a secure connection? Or should I be taking another approach?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you mean flex, or cable?

I suspect you mean cable.

Is the cable solid or stranded?

I assume you mean stranded.

Are the wires currently twisted together?

It's stranded cable. They have already been twisted together, however there is enough slack to cut the twisted bits off and still have enough length to enter the terminal.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes all the wires will go in better if they are twisted together.

The shape and size of the terminal will determine this.

Many modern brands of sockets seem to be designed primarily for solid cable.

Either you have 4mm² twin & earth, or it's the old Imperial 7/.029 size.

What colour is the wire?

What type of insulation does the cable have?

Thanks for your replies.

The wires are red, black and unsheathed for earth and looks like plastic/pvc cover. A recent periodic inspection identified this circuit as being 2.5mm (ring final) and estimated the installation as dating from the 80s.

Have had a go at twisting it all together but it doesn't want to stay in - it seems that they are too big to go "deep" into the terminal so they are not being clamped properly, whereas 2 wires twisted together works fine.

I take it some sort of crimping is not the recommended solution then?

A recent periodic inspection identified this circuit as being 2.5mm
Does anyone here know if stranded 2.5mm² twin & earth has ever been available?

Have had a go at twisting it all together but it doesn't want to stay in - it seems that they are too big to go "deep" into the terminal so they are not being clamped properly, whereas 2 wires twisted together works fine.
3 x 2.5mm² should go into the terminals easily. Don't twist them.

I take it some sort of crimping is not the recommended solution then?
Shouldn't be necessary, and even if you could find a pin crimp to take 2 or 3 2.5mm² conductors it would be rather bulky.

Hi as other have said they should go in. One tip if you havent already done this, make sure each bit of exposed cable going into the terminal is the same length, sometimes if 1 is longer than the others it stops a good fit because you think you are putting pressure on whilst tightening but the pressure is only on the longest cable and the 2 shorter ones pop out when you stress test them. (wiggle them)

buy one good-quality socket such as MK, MEM or Crabtree, and try fitting that

You may then reconsider your choice of GET.

I'm told 2.5 mm twin and earth stranded is available, but never actually seen it.

Have seen some PIRs stating wiring is estimated to be something like 15 years, when in fact it's clearly 40+ years.

Have you tried putting each wire in without twisting them?
You will probably have to give each end a little twist just to neaten the ends up.

You will probably notice twisting the ends a lot will cause some strands to become brittle or break off. You will have to re-strip these.

If you have room in the back box, you may be able to fit some connector blocks.

You will have to identify the two ring cables and the spur cable.
Put one ring cable, the spur cable and a new short length into 30 amp connector blocks.

Then connect the other end of the new short length, and the remaining ring cable, to the actual socket terminals.

It is very important to identify the spur cable.

I'm told 2.5 mm twin and earth stranded is available, but never actually seen it.

I believe I have a roll of it in the garage somewhere, in red and black of course. There's no label on the reel so I can't be 100% sure about the conductor size, but it certainly looks like 2.5.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will have another go this weekend by cutting them all to the same length and without twisting them together. if it's still not working I will explore the connector block route.

Cheers

A Google search found this thread - thank you. Very useful advice about not twisting the wires, having been struggling for ages to twist them tight enough to go into the socket. Like the original post, I had enough spare in the wall box to cut off the twisted ends and start again - got two old Imperial 7/.029 size + 1 solid 2.5mm wire into a new MK socket replacing an old one. If that hadn't worked I would have tried the 30A connection block next, but they went in quite easily and clamped well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back