Why is there a delay in my new light coming on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted a problem recently & thankfully got it answered & managed to go ahead & complete the job of replacing an outside light.

Great, however, when I first switch the light on, there is around 2 second delay but then it's fine, it stays on fine if left.

Have I got a problem or shouldn't I be concerned?

Sponsored Links
dena, what sort of light is it?

Halogen, Fluorescent, MBF, HPS? what?

dena007 said:
Hi, it's just a normal light with a 60 watt screw-in bulb
with power off check the centre contact within the lampholder it may be compressed too far and is barely making?

Sponsored Links
Does this light also have a PIR (Motion) sensor installed? If it does that could vey easily account for the delay.

No. it doesn't have a sensor.

What do you mean by centre contact?

Lampholders_GES.JPG

see the bit at the bottom? that bit

My light fitting didn't look anything like that!

The light is a lantern style, and the wires came out of the stem of the light & have been wired up to the little white connector boxes which then fit snugly into the base attached to the wall.

Ooh, sorry, I think you mean the actual part where the light bulb fits?

How can I check if it's too compressed?

dena007 please note 10a

change the bulb for another one. if its the same somethings up with the fitting if ok it was the bulb

fireman22 said:
change the bulb for another one. if its the same somethings up with the fitting if ok it was the bulb
not if the centre contact wants adjusting it wont

This is a bit of a long shot but ---

Are you using any kind of electronic switch? I've got one of those time switches that turns the light on and off to confuse burglars. The innards are all electronic and the means of using it in a two way switching circuit are unusual. When you switch on or off at the other switch there is a delay before anything happens at the bulb. Weird but true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back