Help With What Goes Where In An Alarm System?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just want to pick anyone's brains about what sensors to use where in our house. Never installed an alarm before and just wandered if anyone can give me some pointers. I have uploaded a plan of what I guess we need, but any experience would be appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Sponsored Links
You'll find it much easier fixing your PIRs at the centre of the house and dropping down into the rooms all near each other. And if Joe Burglar looks through the window they are also a visual deterrent.

Hi, thanks for the info.

I was told previously not to point the PIRS directly at windows/doors.

I have a Yale wireless system to install so no problems with the installation and ease of it.

Chris

Ideally you will not have them looking at windows, open fires or radiators.
Your plan looks okay. Remember the hall will need to be a walk through zone, also youmight want to use it aas an entry timer for part set if yale can manage that. It would stop false alarms if you walk downstairs and enter a protected room.
A good idea is to keep the main panel central to the detectors so there is less chance of interference with them.

As for the outside sheds make sure the doors are secure and do not rattle about.

Sponsored Links
You can face modern day sensors at anything other than open fires. Fitted well over a thousand systems - never had any probs. Plus the visible deterrent is a massive security boost. ;)

Just sticking to my own experiences, also some manufacturers specifications.

Had a recent experience with a quad and it turned out low sun was hitting the fresnel and causing the problem. A good quality item too.

A labeled EWD is always a good deterrent. Also get the physical security looked at as well. No point having a £1000 system with a door made of papier mache!

Had a recent experience with a quad and it turned out low sun was hitting the fresnel and causing the problem. A good quality item too.

So you do face them at windows then?

Lol, no there was a row of velux windows in a slanted roof towards 4 double doors onto the garden ( think massive townhouse conversion). Was a PiTA to get what we thought was an idea position.
We were working off plans as the building was going up out and sideways !!
Changed to a DT and sorted the problem.

So to answer no whenever possible, and thats 99.9% of the time.

So you move the Ikea wardrobe and hope it doesn't collapse, you pull up all the carpets, you pull up the floorboards in 3 or more bedrooms - just to put a sensor in a spot where Billy Burglar can't see it and lose the visual deterrent? Why? I've got about 4000 PIRs out there facing windows and never had any trouble whatsoever in over 20 years. Or maybe we are getting into cowboy country and you are stapling cables to skirting boards or running them under the carpets? How do you do it? I'd love to know.

Oooooooooooooooh touchy.

As you rightly say, HIDE HIDE and HIDE cables. Use coving, picture rails.
Drop down where you can, if lucky upper joists run the way you want.
Go back to back when possible of course, Love EOL for this!
Also depends if the windows are north/south rathe than east/west, sure you can work that one out.
As for visual deterent previously mentioned EWD`s. If the fookers are peering in windows they are so close they may go for it anyway.
The amount of items left in view as you know is amazing!!!

some of the works I have done have over 500 ccts, so that would equate to 1/8 of your total. That was not meant as a jibe or taunt and i hope it was not taken that way.

I prefer through my own experience to do the work this way and do not charge extra for it. Each job is priced on its own attributes.
If its really bad i`ll switch to wireless hybrid. Galaxy being my preferred choice of animal. Never used Risco and probably will not. However Texecom Richocet seems to be alluring.

Know one of their designers from menvier days, top bloke and always respected his work.

I`ll take the cowboy as intended "a maybe" you seem intelligent enough to have a discussion rather than a argument.

Alarm

What do you do if there are chipboard floors? Laminate floors? Pull it all up?

I guess you only do industrial stuff, not domestic. That's why you are out of touch with homes that people live in and don't like you trashing. There are few picture rails today and they really don't look very nice with wires in them. As I say, head for the middle - drop a few short drops fit the PIRs (you'll get no bother with them) connect up and you are finished - and the customer thinks it's magic that there is no mess or visible clue that you've ever been there. You stick to your 500 circuit jobs (which in reality would be split into a number of smaller units) you won't make the grade in people homes.

What do you do if there are chipboard floors? Laminate floors? Pull it all up?

I guess you only do industrial stuff, not domestic. That's why you are out of touch with homes that people live in and don't like you trashing. There are few picture rails today and they really don't look very nice with wires in them. As I say, head for the middle - drop a few short drops fit the PIRs (you'll get no bother with them) connect up and you are finished - and the customer thinks it's magic that there is no mess or visible clue that you've ever been there. You stick to your 500 circuit jobs (which in reality would be split into a number of smaller units) you won't make the grade in people homes.

Christ, i`m trying to be polite now.
Domestics I can run hide and do all sorts without disruption. Actually one "domestic " has over 500 ccts, obviously you do not do bigger houses! Nor have the experience of even larger commercial where you STILL HAVE TO HIDE EVERYTHING. Add in some FIRE and ACCESS and it can be busy :D
I cut my teeth doing domestics and i`m still going to give you the benefit of doubt over your comments. You seem to be a decent enough person and actually agree with one or two of my other posts here. So why this apparent attack, a test? Hope I have passed it.
I do a lot of work for local authorities adding access for disabled as well as some other items. Every time I get thanks for a quick neat and tidy install.
I cut my teeth in this game as a locksmith then became more and more involved in the electronic side. My father ran a building company so I have a vast knowledge of structures and how buildings are made.

So a brief explanation of myself whom you seem happy to criticize.
How did you start?

Again no malice here, just trying to see your point of view after we have agreed on other subjects.

Alarm

its not about cost, my customers aint gonna let me pull up there Laminate floors so i can cable the lounge pir.

from what i've seen, wireless detectors on mid/high end systems is becomming the norm, esp new build homes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back