Draft under floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
So I pulled up the carpets in my new-old house and saw some lovely pine floorboards. Hardly a mark on them at all. I thought I could save myself a few quid by just sanding and varnishing them.

The problem is that there's a gale blowing under the floor. On the front and the back of the house there are air vents below floor level.

I cant pull up the floor to put insulation in. Can I just close the vents outside the house. Surely with the chimney and various other holes there will be enough fresh air in the house?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
the clue is where the vents are :D :D

if you block them off after around 5 years could be sooner or longer you floors will rot and collapse

I was afraid of that :)

I'm also afraid of spending the rest of my life holding a silicone gun hunting around the house for drafts while my wife complains of the cold!

Sponsored Links
I also have airbricks set just above the dpc which makes the underfloor space extremely cold when the wind blows.. In the winter I put a concrete paviour up against them then remove them in the spring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back