weeping joint on lead pipe

Sponsored Links
your best bet would be to get a transition coupling, and cut the pipe back a bit, and do this because by the looks of it, someone has already had a go at repairing it with PTFE tape, i get transition couplings from my local supplier, but i think BSS stock them aswell

Jim

from what i can see it looks like a leadlock union ,it has a o ring seal that may be faulty ,try cutting the pipe back clean it up and it should be ok

Sponsored Links
Is it lead all the way back to where? Always worth considering a new (copper or plastic) pipe from tank or stopcock or wherever it comes from

Is it lead all the way back to where? Always worth considering a new (copper or plastic) pipe from tank or stopcock or wherever it comes from
Thanks to everyone, I have a few things to go with now.

The accessible lead has already been replaced. These pipes only supply a couple of vanity units and go on in copper to a toilet and basin. The poor plumber went as fas as he could under the eaves of a large chalet bungalow to install a secondary circulation hot water system (with bronze pump) and replace lead but these were a bend too far! I think the secondary circulation pipes are all in copper.

The brass union is dry (toilet tissue wrapped around it stays dry). It seems to be the joint with the lead that weeps. I don't think the jaunty angle of the lead into the union can help.

.... I don't think the jaunty angle of the lead into the union can help.
I would agree there.

A bit of a re-think on the copper side of the union may improve the alignment. Cut back the mangled end of the lead and replace the union with one fitted STRAIGHT, then re-work the copper side so it all lines up properly. A pipe bending spring and a Mk. 1 kneecap should get you a piece of 15mm copper exactly the right shape for the job.

Lead pipe is quite soft and easy to bend (or at least it was when it first left the factory) but it may be very brittle after many years of service, so I wouldn't attempt to re-align that.

as others have already said, quickest ,easiest and least chance of a problem is to clean up and wipe in a bit of copper.
leadlocks etc are all very well but lead varies to much to make them work every time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back