Ideal Classic Boiler - Airing Cupboard Pump Won't Stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post.

I have an ideal classic FF280

The pump in the airing cupboard is continuously on even when both the central heating/hot water is set to off.

Even if I turn off the boiler, it keeps going!

The only way I can get it to stop is either turn the power off next to the central heating/HW switch or.... turn the Cylinder thermostat to the off position.

It like the pump power is driven by the cylinder thermostat regardless of the hw being on or off.

I had a quick look at the wiring inside the cylinder thermostat (drayton HTS3) and it has wiring connected to the Common and Call for heat but not the Satisfied connection.

Any help truly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
very strange if it was an external control fault ie a two port vlv sticking the boiler would fire up. what boiler do you have?

Ideal Classic FF280m when I say the boiler power is off,

I'm talking about using the power switch on the front of the boiler set to off but the fused spare next to the controller set to on still.

sounds like a wiring issue, has the system ever worked ok?
is this a new fault or has it always been this way?

No, the boiler does not fire up at all until the clock controller starts up through the timer/advance or boost button.

What's weird is that I set both HW + CH to advance, boiler kicks in, central heating and water get hot as normal.

The water timer ends (as normal or via the advance button) and when I turn the central heating thermostat down or turn off via the controller everything stops including the pump..

The pump is behaving fine again but I get this problem periodically...

Can't' figure it out.

The only thing I can think is when I changed the program timer last year from a Drayton Lifestyle 241 to a Drayton Tempus 6.

I just checked the wiring diagram on the drayton site and both look the same.

I wondering if the boost option or some other difference between the controllers is causing the problem.

I suspect you've got a dodgy switch in one of your motorised valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back