Help wiring in a new electric oven (inc Pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wondering if some nice person would help me install a new electric oven. Just removed the old one (single electrolux) and wish to replace with a neff 1.5 oven.

Here's a load of pics I have just taken as a photo speaks a thousand words.

Extra info - I've read the electricians notes from when the house was built and the cable from the fuse box to the oven is 6mm cable.

I guess it's not as simple as buying some cable from b&q and re-using the 13amp plug to connect it back into the socket on the wall?

Thanks very much,
Glen.

2vt8r2r.jpg

12176yu.jpg

6fs8rn.jpg

2irn05d.jpg

16jfrzk.jpg

ay4rxc.jpg

2eqe8ug.jpg

Sponsored Links
I assume from those pics that you do not have an electric hob?

What is the power rating (which will be in watts or Kw - not Kwh) of the new oven, and does the maker stipulate a maximum fuse size for the supply

Those twin cavity opens tend to be about 20A (4.6kw) , or marginally just over.

It looks like its as simple as cabing it in 4mm flex into that cooker outlet to the side of the socket, assuming the the maker is happy with a 32A breaker. (which chances are they will be), as there isn't much scope otherwise if its above 20A as most switcgear makers (including wylex) dont offer a 25A breaker

sorry I should have said, the new oven is 6.8kw. We don't have an electric hob. The current hob is gas but needs electric for the ignition. That's what the black plug is you can see on the photo

Then you just need to connect it to the plate on the left of the socket. Switch off at both the MCB and the cooker switch first, and test it to make sure it's dead before you touch the terminals.

You can use 4mm² heat resistant flex or T&E, or 6mm² T&E.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much,

Will have to quickly go to b&q to get the cable. I guess I just strip the bare wire back and wrap it around the screws on the cooker? Don't need to crimp anything on do I?

It would be ideal to crimp a fork onto it, but if you're using T&E you need the proper tool.

It should be alright just bent around to fit under the screw, just make sure you put it in so it doesn't work out as you tighten the screw. Don't forget the G/Y sleeving for the earth.

I'm going to get the 4mm heat resistant flex, unless they are sold out then I'll get the T+E

use a ring not a fork... bloody cowboys...

rings won't fall out and make a big flash if the screw works loose ( it might with a fan oven vibrating the thing..... doubtfull but why take the chance. )

ok just got back from b&q. They only had 6mm T+E so I got that.

Not got any crimping tools or anything so can I just carefully wrap it around the screw and make sure everythings tight?

rings won't fall out and make a big flash if the screw works loose ( it might with a fan oven vibrating the thing..... doubtfull but why take the chance. )

Assuming you can find a ring which will fit. I've found a fair few terminals which won't take a ring. But you're right, a ring is preferable.

:LOL: That's what I thought, but too mealy mouthed to say.

Martin

And you're probably supposed to feed the flex/cable through the white 'tube' to the left of the terminals and tighten the grub screw as a strain relief.

Thanks for all the help, got it working :D

Silly me measured te cable out but ended up cutting it a little short but it just reached without being overly tight. I had heard that oven cables should not be over 2m in lenght. Well this one is slightly so having it just reach might be for the best.

I have uploaded a few pics just to get your thoughts.

2qk8k7a.jpg

25tysmg.jpg

14ujmyo.jpg

oops, nearly forgot. Can we plug an integrated tumble dryer in the now spare 3pin socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back