Extractor Fan Wiring Help needed Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a standard extractor fan no timer. it has 2 wires both brown, as it does not need an earth. I want to wire this extractor with a separate pull cord switch so you can switch it on/off as required.

My light pull cord switch has red/black and earth. Can i take a wire from this existing switch to a new pull cord switch then from there to the fan?

or how would i do it.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The Red and Black at the light pullcord would not power your fan as they are simply a permanent live and switched live, no neutral.

You need to take a live/Neutral/Earth from the cieling rose to a position for the Fan, or for the Pullcord.

The Live needs to go through the new pullcord switch to ensure you are able to switch it on and off as desired. The Neutral does not need to be switched and needs to go to the Fan. If you take the Neutral via the switch position, then simply use a connector block to join both ends together in the base of the switch.

The Earth must gpo via the switch earth terminal to a connector block at the fan. This is not to provide protection for the fan, but to provide protection for the circuit en-route to the fan.

thanks for your reply, so to clarify i need to take the wires from the actual light fitting to a pull cord switch, then from the pull cord switch to the extractor fan.

The 2 brown wires on the extractor fan, do i just basically put a red and black to these?

the earth you nentioned to take from the switch to the fan, there seems to be no ceoneection on the fan for an earth, just two brown wires.

Thanks

hemclio said:
the earth you nentioned to take from the switch to the fan, there seems to be no ceoneection on the fan for an earth, just two brown wires.
But someone in the future might fit a fan which does need an earth, so the earth conductor should be properly connected to the lighting circuit earth, taken to the fan, and there be sleeved and put into a piece of choc-block, not cut back.

It's also a nice idea to have a functioning earth in the cable in case of damage.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply, so take an earth to the fan anyway. and a live and a neutral from the switch to connect to the 2 brown wires.

You have no choice about taking an earth conductor to the fan, as it's there in the cable - what you have to ensure is that you connect it up properly...

ban-all-sheds said:
You have no choice about taking an earth conductor to the fan, as it's there in the cable - what you have to ensure is that you connect it up properly...

ensure that i connect the earth up properly?

P.s. does it matter which wires i connect upto the 2 brown wires?

hemclio said:
ensure that i connect the earth up properly?
At the ceiling rose, connect the earth conductor of your new cable to the earth terminal. At the switch, connect the incoming and outgoing earth conductor to the earth terminal.

P.s. does it matter which wires i connect upto the 2 brown wires?
No.

what kind of pull cord switch do i need. just a basic one way?

Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back