Condensing boiler outflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've just had our condensing boiler moved and the acidic outflow pipe is now just coming out of the wall into a gully below our basement window.

It has not been connected to a main drain, rainwater or soakaway.

Should we be getting the plumber back to fit a lime chipping soakaway?

Will this harm the brickwork/wood of our house as the outflow pipe will now be seeping into the foundations of the house.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Seco,

No the gully's not connected to anything, it's just concrete with a bit of gravel - it's a sunken area outside the basement window. Window is slightly below ground level so the area has been dug out to give more light into the room.

Should we get some lime chippings?

thanks.

i would fit a proper soakaway with lime chippings.

061.jpg

Sponsored Links
the condensate is slightly acidic and will eventually erode concrete or mortar.

Very sad that the pipe was not run into a drain. Is there a kitchen sink or downpipe nearby, inside or outside the house? This is always worth thinking about when deciding where to put a boiler.

Yes, if there is no suitable drain to discharge into you should install condensate soakaway. McAlpine make a purpose designed product. Basically it's a 100mm diameter by 300mm plastic container that you bury in the ground.

I've placed the relevent page from a Worcester Bosch boiler installation manual showing how it should be installed.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thanks to everyone for advice. Should we try to get the plumber back to rectify? I did try to tell him that if he moved it to this position he would need to use lime chippings but he went ahead and just left it going into the gully. He also fitted a flue/plume management kit up the front of our house - right next to our front door and puffing out by our bedroom window - even though we specifically asked for it to go up the side. He told us that this was impossible.....

thanks.

Sounds to me like you should get the installer back. With plume kits, you can put the flue terminal almost anywhere you want and the condensate disposal is clearly not satsfactory.

Best of luck getting a response though. Sounds like a bit of a cowboy and as such, once he has your money, he'll probably be long gone. Nothing ventured, nothing gained however.

Legally, it would be very helpful if you have a quotation detailing exactly what was to be done. Might be a bit late, but I've posted an example of the kind of quote I supply. Might be useful for future reference! I find spelling out exactly what I'm going to do gets everone singing from the same hymn sheet and avoids unexpected surprises for both parties.

If it's not written down you might be on a sticky wicket with regard to the flue/plume kit although there is such a thing as a verbal contract. The condensate discharge has not been completed according to the Manufacturer's Instructions (probably) or to British Standard 6798:2000 which covers this area. You therefore are completely within your rights to ask for it to be rectified.

Hope this helps,

Mark

No there's no downpipe on this side of the house - they're all at the back and the boiler has been put in the small area under the front steps.

We're having building work done and this plumber was sub-contracted by the builder. We have been given a huge bill but we haven't paid it yet as we're so unsatisfied.

He charged £700 for materials. The only materials he bought was the Gloworm Plume Management Kit and then quite a bit of 25mm copper pipe - probably 18 metres worth. Surely this wouldn't be £700?

As of this morning, we've got a second opinion from a local plumber who saw no problem with moving the plume management kit and installing a lime chippings soakaway as you've suggested. We will wait to see what they quote and then atttempt to negotiate something with the original plumber.

Thank you to everyone.

But you must have agreed the £700, you cant go back and quibble about it now the works complete.

Also you need to tell the plumber your not happy, not employ another one. He needs to be given the chance to come back and rectify problems.

Ah well, it's darnnnnnn sarfffff innit, Landan's always dearer, thats why it cost's £6.50 for a cup of coffee, so a plume kit and copper tube will be a fortune.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back