rEd displayed on electricity meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Bought my first house a few months ago and have been decorating since. We have storage heaters one of which the previous owner told us was broken. It was located on the landing and since the others provide enough heat through the rest of the house we thought we'd dump it to make a bit more room at the top of the stairs.

Over the weekend we removed it from the wall and then traced the wire down to the fuse box/electric meter/Ampy/etc and then disconneted the wire completely from the consumer unit. (DIdn't remove anything else.)

Everything seems fine however 24 hours later I noticed that the LCD was showing rate 1 and then flashing over to "rEd" and back again. It normally goes rate 1, rate 2, total of 1 & 2 and date.

I read rEd stands for reverse energy detection and saw articles on electriity fraud..:oops: I don't know if removing the storage heater would cause this or the only other thing we did the same day was install a new bathroom light? I don't really want to get in trouble with the supplier for tampering with anything!

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Found this in a manual:

"If reverse power is detected above a pre-determined level the consumers supply can be disconnected and/or reverse running indicated by the display flashing alternately between its normal display and “RED” (Reverse Energy Detection) Reverse detection can only be reset via a hand-held ‘Mini-programmer’ or a reset card."

Is this a prepay meter?

ahdigital - write to your supplier (don't phone) and use recorded delivery.

Tell them what you've told us, about how long you've been there and what you did, and ask them to send someone to check the meter.

Wow - Thanks for the fast replies!

s this a prepay meter?

It's an economy 7 setup that I pay monthly for with EON.

ahdigital - write to your supplier (don't phone) and use recorded delivery.

Tell them what you've told us, about how long you've been there and what you did, and ask them to send someone to check the meter.

Is it likely that I'll have to pay for someone to come out to investigate?[/quote]

Sponsored Links
You're reporting an apparent fault on their meter, or a situation where the previous occupant may have been tampering - they can't make you pay for that. It's not like "my lights are flickering" and it turns out to be a loose connection in your CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back