Wiring a PIR to ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i need help wiring a PIR to existing ceiling rose, I want the light in my toilet to come on via the sensor and not by the pullcord, my PIR has a red, brown and blue wire, (although diagram on PIR shows 2 blue wires, sorry i have no instructions & don't no make as given to me by friend) am i rite in thinking that Brown goes to Perm Live, Neutral to Neutral and Red to Switch Live in ceiling rose? thanks

Sponsored Links
ItsAnybodysGuess.jpg

Is there no makers name or model number anywhere on it?

You say there's a diagram on the unit itself - do the terminals have any markings/legends/identification?

I cant see any markings sorry, on the pir i can just make out L & N which i no is Live & Neutral but cant make out the 3rd Letter,

I cant see any markings sorry, on the pir i can just make out L & N which i no is Live & Neutral but cant make out the 3rd Letter,

Sounds like it is an old used model - you might want to replace it with a new one - beccause you get instructions with them.

You do not say where you intend to attach the PIR but imply that you will replace the pull cord switch with it.

If that is the case then you may have a problem because PIR's generally have a L N E terminal and a SL (switch live) out terminal.
It is likely that you pull cord will be wired as a switch and therefore will not have a neutral and so you cannot wire it as a direct replacement.

If this is the case then you need to draw the LNE from the loop, neutral and earth at your ceiling rose to the PIR and then run the switch wire from the PIR back to the ceiling rose and lamp. Having first of all removed the pull switch wire from the ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for misleading you, I want to keep the pullcord in situ but want the light to operate from the sensor rather than the pull cord.

As the PIR has a red, brown & blue wire coming out of it, can i assume that this is Switch Live, Live & Neutral? & wire into the ceiling rose accordingly?

Just trying to get my head around this one.

You intend to keep the switch - okay - so does this mean you also want the light to operate by this switch as well as the PIR switch?

If that is the case, and I haven't done one like this before, you link your PIR's L to the ceiling live loop, your PIR N to ceiling rose neutral loop and your PIR SL to the switch live of the ceiling rose pendant.

I think this will mean both your PIR and pull cord will both be able to operate the light - don't know what will happen to the PIR's electronics if you turn the light with the pull cord though - you might have a very confused PIR!!!

Don't forget that the PIR will switch off the light if it detects no 'movements'!

Let us know how you like waving your arms every few minutes so that you can still read the paper :LOL:

Having a pull cord and the PIR both operating the light has operational issues.

You open the door, the light is on. Is the light on because of the PIR, or because of the pull cord switch?

You reach in and pull the cord. The light will stay on because the PIR will then have triggered.
The only way to find out if the light will then go off is to wait 5 minutes or so and then sneak up, edging your way up to the door to see if the light has gone off.

If it hasn't gone off, you reach in and pull the cord, The light will stay on because the PIR will then have triggered.
The only way to find out if the light will then go off is to wait 5 minutes or so and then sneak up, edging your way up to the door to see if the light has gone off.

If it hasn't gone off, you reach in and pull the cord, The light will stay on because the PIR will then have triggered.

You could always tie a long piece of string to the cord, dig out your old box of Meccano and rig up a system of pulleys so you can work it from out of PIR range.

Or put a webcam in there to monitor it remotely.

Actually no - forget that last idea.

You could also install a pullcord switch with a neon base (MK do them).
That will show you if the pullcord is operated (if correctly wired)

;)

hi guys
its a robus r180 (white) no matter what i do it doesn't work so think that its a dodgey pir.

I have wired brown to perm live on ceiling rose
blue to neutral on ceiling rose
red to switch live on ceiling rose

although when i turn the time dial on pir the green light either blinks dull and bright or stays on bright, even when in manual or over ride mode. During this the bulb stays on allthe time

Please help

According to the drawing in those instructions the terminals are also marked with handy little arrows pointing towards and away from them, indicating live in and out....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back