What Type of Ceiling Pull Switch for Fan and Lights Combined

• Thread starter Terry2sheds
  • Start date
T

Terry2sheds

If linking Fan to lights in the bathroom, what type of pull switch should be used, or is this not allowed under current regs?

Sponsored Links
A 10Amp pull switch would normally be used to connect to a light in a bathroom. It should be sited outside the bathroom zones.

If the fan does not have a timer then you can run T&E from the switch live, neutral and earth at the ceiling rose to the fan.

If the fan has a timer then its a bit more complicated.

Terry - a picture is emerging of someone who doesn't know enough yet but thinks he can get by by asking questions as and when they occur to him.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=246551

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=247011

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=247072

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=247565

Asking questions here can be a useful part of a learning process, but they are not a substitute for proper structured studying. The key term there is "learning process" - you cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking questions here. It isn't structured enough - it won't provide you with a way to progress where each step builds on what you learned before.

You've already shown that you have some dodgy misconceptions - what if you get something wrong because you have no idea your knowledge is wrong? What if you miss something because you simply have no idea it even exists, and just don't realise you don't know it?

Please take some time to gain a proper grounding and a proper understanding.

Firstly, Riveralt, thanks for your help.That's all I needed to know.

Secondly, Ban-All-Sheds, Thanks for the lecture.
Sorry I'm bothering you, I have no intention of becoming a qualified electrician, or attempting work for other people and so, although I only have a basic knowledge as a DIYer, asking the questions on here has helped my learning process and has given me the answers I required. It's probably more a question of confidence really, although I'm fairly sure, I just need reassurance. I always seek advice before I attempt any electrical work that I haven't done before and at the moment I have chosen this forum.

If this is such a chore to you, then maybe you should just press the ignore button for me and then I won't bother you again.

I never leave anything in a dangerous condition and always test my work.If I have any doubts I ask or just don't attempt it.

I thought the principle of these Forums was so that you could ask questions and allow knowledge to be shared, silly me.

Sponsored Links
Secondly, Ban-All-Sheds, Thanks for the lecture.
NP.

It's just a shame that you clearly don't think you needed to learn anything that it was about.

Sorry I'm bothering you, I have no intention of becoming a qualified electrician, or attempting work for other people and so, although I only have a basic knowledge as a DIYer, asking the questions on here has helped my learning process and has given me the answers I required.
No - it's given you the answers you think you need to the questions you think you need to ask.

The links to online and print information that I gave you were not meant to turn you into a qualified electrician they were to point you at information that you need, as a DIYer to do the work you are attempting.

Even though you are a DIYer, and even though you think you don't do work for other people (unless you plan to burn your house down instead of selling it or leaving it to someone in your will of course you are doing work for other people) you must, must, MUST acquire a genuine UNDERSTANDING of everything you do.

Do you think that because you're not a taxi driver you don't have to know how to drive properly?

Do you think that because you're not a chef you don't have to keep your kitchen hygienic?

It's probably more a question of confidence really, although I'm fairly sure, I just need reassurance.
Fairly sure is not good enough.

And it is not reassurance you need, it is a greater depth of real knowledge and it beggars belief that you don't think you should.

If this is such a chore to you, then maybe you should just press the ignore button for me and then I won't bother you again.
Maybe you should be more open to advice which doesn't fit with the narrow preconceived idea you have of the advice you thought we should be giving you.

I never leave anything in a dangerous condition and always test my work.
And I'm afraid all that assertion does is to show that you are out of your depth and simply have no idea of what's involved. For you testing is one of your unknown unknowns. You don't know what's involved, you don't know what tests should be carried out, you don't have the right test equipment, you don't know what the right test equipment is and you don't know that you don't know any of those things.

Just have a read of this, and see if you still think "I always test my work" is true.

I thought the principle of these Forums was so that you could ask questions and allow knowledge to be shared, silly me.
It is.

So why do you object to me answering your questions by sharing my knowledge of the things you need to know but clearly don't realise you need to know?

At what point did you answer my question?

Basically you just lecture on what you think I should know or ask.

You are basically like a Jehovah's Witness for Electrical Text.

You don't know what test equipment I use.
You don't know what I need, so don't presume you do.

By the way how many taxi drivers do you know who can drive properly?

How clean is your kitchen? Spotless I presume, with all the time you seem to have on your hands.

Just who do you think you are??

Go and tell it to someone who's impressed by your expondings.

Ignore Button Pressed!!

<shrug>

And, not as a witch-hunt, but just to try start the penny dropping in this clown could someone who he isn't yet ignoring ask him to confirm that he does have both the knowledge and the equipment to carry out continuity tests, ring final continuity checks, insulation resistance measurements, fault loop impedance measurements, PFC measurements and RCD measurements?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back