Dirty water from washing machine flows up the bath plug hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my washing machine is pumping out, the dirty water flows out to the main black waste pipe.

But due to awkward plumbing, some of the dirty water rears its ugly head out of the bath plug hole which is quite low to the ground.

Although appearing for just a few fleeting seconds before draining off, the dirty water doesn't look very nice and is no doubt unhygienic. Can anyone recommend any type of valve or device that I can install under the bath to prevent this from happening?

Sponsored Links
you can fit a hep v0 to the bath waste.
but it shouldn't happen in the first place so clearly is a plumbing problem
somewhere.
has it always done it ?
is a drain partially blocked ?

have you a diagram of the layout ?

Yes, the dirty water has always flowed back in this way. I've tolerated it for a long time but just feel it needs to be resolved.

I'm quite certain the plumbing is primitive. I suppose a simple way of describing the problem is to imagine a Y shaped piping system. The washing machine is to the top left of the Y and the bath is to the top right. The black waste pipe is at the bottom.

Actually, the washing machine, dishwasher and kitchen sink all use the same route when emptying water.

I'll google up HepVo. As there is so little space under the bath which sits low to the floor, I hope the device is compact enough to fit in.

sounds like your getting cross over from the kitchen waste to bath waste as the w/m is pumped when it drains.

hepv0
untitledr.jpg

Sponsored Links
I know of a block of flats with 9 floors including the ground. In the bathroom of a 1st floor flat, a 1.5" shower waste stabs into the cast iron drain stack. The basin is teed into this pipe using 1.25" pipe.

Every now and then the shower drain makes loud gurgling sounds. I think its is when the floors above flush a toilet or empty a bath and the suction pulls out the water of the shower tray.

What are the views of the professionals on this? Would a shower anti-siphon trap and HepVo trap on the basin solve the problem? There is only one 4" cast iron tee into the bathroom. which means both basin and shower have to be on the same pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back