CH pump will not run when HW is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a warmflow oil fired combi boiler. With both CH and HW on, the HW pump runs constantly even if water is not being drawn. This prevents heat from being circulate through the radiators. If i turn off the HW at the boiler, the CH pump fires up and all is well. What could be going on?

Sponsored Links
you say it's a combi?

so what happens when you turn off the HW by just turning off the hot water tap?

You say it has a HW pump? Why? If it is a combi, surely it does not have a HW cylinder?

Sponsored Links
I think it is a 70/90 as there is an X stamped on the manufacturers plate in the 70/90 box. It has a heatstore tank. It looks as if it has tandem pumps. There is a light showing which pump is running. The HW pump light is on all the time if both HW and CH are switched on. The HW light does not go out even if there are no taps running. the only way I can get the CH pump to run, is if I turn the HW off on the timer.

I think it is a 70/90 as there is an X stamped on the manufacturers plate in the 70/90 box. It has a heatstore tank. It looks as if it has tandem pumps. There is a light showing which pump is running. The HW pump light is on all the time if both HW and CH are switched on. The HW light does not go out even if there are no taps running. the only way I can get the CH pump to run, is if I turn the HW off on the timer.

Think I have found the problem - a leak on the heat exchanger.

you say it's a combi?

so what happens when you turn off the HW by just turning off the hot water tap?

You say it has a HW pump? Why? If it is a combi, surely it does not have a HW cylinder?

1) Pump keeps on running
2) It is a combi with a heatstore for Hot Water

well having a quick peek at the operation flow chart on page 18 of
this manual (dont know if its your exact model)
I'D say its possible either the flow switch is stuck closed
or the DHW tank stat isnt satisfied

Matt

Matt
Turn down the DHW stat to off, not the switch, and if the pump stops, then it is the DHW stat faulty. If it still runs, then flow switch must be stuck.( If a leak on the heat exchanger, it must be one hell of a leak to operate the flow switch.
Although there is always the possibility there is a fault in the pcb or the relay. Follow the fault finder with your multimeter.

Chances are the heat store isnt getting up to temperature.

Is the leak from the heat store?

No the leak was from the cold water feed. I have fixed this leak, but the problem still exists. I am about to go out and have a random poke around, before getting someone out.

Matt, I have turned down the DHW stat to off. The pump still runs for the DHW. It all point towards the DHW pump wanting to run all the time. Could this be a faulty thermostat? I don't have a multimeter, so I am stuck on any electrical diagnostics. I guess I admit defeat and call in the engineer!

Matt
Turn down the DHW stat to off, not the switch, and if the pump stops, then it is the DHW stat faulty. If it still runs, then flow switch must be stuck.( If a leak on the heat exchanger, it must be one hell of a leak to operate the flow switch.
Although there is always the possibility there is a fault in the pcb or the relay. Follow the fault finder with your multimeter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back