old gas pipe - new electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently replaced our electric oven which was fitted when we had the kitchen done about 5 years ago. When we removed the old oven, there was, what appeared to be an old horizontal, possibly lead gas pipe, which is pretty solid and appears to be capped off. (looks welded at the end.) It might be worth mentioning we have an electric hob too. Although the oven fits in a standard housing unit, the new oven dimensions must be bigger as the oven doesn't fit snug due to the gas pipe. We have screwed the oven into the housing unit and screwing it in has tightened it into a snug fit under the units. My only concern is that the gas pipe is now touching the back of the oven. Is this a major concern or not.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
If its a lead pipe then you are right to be concerned.I can only suggest getting it checked and cut back properly to allow for clearances and should be a RGI job.

slightly off topic but

what is an "appropriate fitting" to cap a lead pipe

not a dig i asked it on my last assesment and nobody seemed to know :confused:

slightly off topic but

wipe a join to copper then a compression fitting, cant think of another way of doing it.

Sponsored Links
slightly off topic but

wipe a join to copper then a compression fitting, cant think of another way of doing it.

fair doos and i agree but then you ain't capping the lead (if you catch my drift)

one of the questions the regs don't answer ;)

slightly off topic but

All well and good for those that are able to, those that can't are fooked

which was exactly my point at the assesment ;)

We did not wipe joints on gas!
A joint on a lead gas pipe was usually a "Taft"or "finger taft".
The normal way to seal the pipe was to clean inside then flatten it and solder the end.
Even when removing a gas light on the wall, which would be plastered over. :eek: :eek:

Thanks for your reply. As you have been a gas man for 45 years, how much would you say something like that would cost. just so i have ball park figure to make sure i don't get ripped off. Also I'm not 100% sure its lead. Its an extremely solid pipe of a grey colour.

May thanks once again.

Thanks for your reply. As you have been a gas man for 45 years, how much would you say something like that would cost. just so i have ball park figure to make sure i don't get ripped off. Also I'm not 100% sure its lead. Its an extremely solid pipe of a grey colour.

May thanks once again.

Probably galvanised iron then.

May thanks once again.

Probably galvanised iron then.

does that mean its not a gas pipe then? or could it still be gas? there is no cap on the end it just looks as though its been welded on the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back