Oxy pilot spark ignition gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Open coal effect gas fire.
Ignition sparks OK but pilot does not light.
Spark jumps to tip of thermocouple.
However, Pilot ignites OK with a match and does not extinguish.
Jets blue & play onto thermocouple OK
Pilot jets all blown through.
Electrode gap about 4mm. (Have tried varying this)
Main jets operate without problems.

Any suggestion, please.
(Not a safety issue, just inconvenient.

Sponsored Links
Put something that smokes (incense) near the pilot outlet - does the smoke drift away from the ignition point? A flame behaves differently than a gas jet.

Sponsored Links
Put something that smokes (incense) near the pilot outlet - does the smoke drift away from the ignition point? A flame behaves differently than a gas jet.
What :confused:

Schoolboy physics. Why do you think a flame stays as a flame? And yet smoke dissipates? You need a basic grip of chaos theory and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle to get the gist of it. I aint got time to educate you. Sorry.

Ah yes.......Heisenberg

'In quantum mechanics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states by precise inequalities that certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be simultaneously known to arbitrarily high precision. That is, the more precisely one property is measured, the less precisely the other can be measured. The principle states that a minimum exists for the product of the uncertainties in these properties that is equal to or greater than one half of the reduced Planck constant (ħ = h/2π).'

My personal guess is the bloody spark gen is arcing......but what do i know.

Thanks for assistance.
Really useful forum this, as that is the first time I have seen such a lucid explanation of Heisenberg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back