Boiler Ideal Istor HE325

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
We have a new Ideal Istor HE 325 boiler (6 months old) that came with our new built flat. A sharp whining sound develops for around 45 seconds when the DHW cycle starts. It is not heard when the CH starts. I varied the temperature settings for both the boiler and the hot water to no avail. The sharp sound is still heard.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Its probably due to the diverter valve when changing over.6 months old should be a warranty call.

Many thanks for your reply. Will it affect the Heat Exchanger (if at all) until the valve is replaced by the manufacturer?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The flue pipe on that model is often boxed in and not available to be inspected. That led to a fatatality and if the flue is boxed in within a ceiling void then ask the engineer about its safety when he comes.

I dont see how the diverter valve would make a noise for so long. They can make a noise for 2-3 seconds but not normally that long. However, the engineer on the spot should be easily able to identify the reason and fix it for you.

Have the serial number when you call Ideal. It may not have been registered for the warrantee. New build installation quality is often rather lacking!

Tony

Thank you both. Ideal engineer has been and believes that the initial installer did not flush the system properly and there is a build up of limescale in the heat exchanger. According to him the system needs to be drained, flushed and then Sentinel x100 inhibitor added to the water.

As it is new build waiting for initial installer to make good. In the meantime the music continues!!!!!!!! :confused:

Any what about the flue?

Is it clearly visible along all its length?

Tony

The flue is a right angle pipe from the top of the boiler exiting through the back wall.The vertical section is 15 cms and the horizontal section is a maximum of 30 cms totally visible. The engineer did not seem worried about it. However this morning the noise was so sharp that it woke me up and lasted for 75 seconds.

One question which remained unanswered is why is that terrible noise only heard when the boiler starts the DHW cycle, not the CH one. I could not get a reply. I was however reassured that the boiler is safe to operate.

Thanks for your feedback

The boiler operates at different power outputs on HW and CH. That may be the reason.

I am not yet convinced that the cause is so simple!

Tell us more as the story develops.

Tony

Most whining noises come from the fan. Mine does the same but only on heating. When the bearings wear it starts to 'flutter' and produces all manner of noises.

Hello Joe-90

The boiler is 6 months old. Could the bearings have gone already?? Everything is possible I suppose.

Hi guys
Problem seem to be solved. It was as reported by the engineer at Ideal. The installer flushed the system and the water came out brown. He added Sentinel 300, flushed again and added Sentinel 100. It seems to be working.

Thought to let you know.

Many thanks for your input

OURSON

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back