Power Flush, been told it can't be done!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Phoned a local company and the conversation went something like this..

Me...I need a price for power flushing
Them... What's wrong with the system
Me...I have 11 radiators 3 don't heat up and 2 have started to rattle
Them...OK I will need to come out and see the system where do you stay
...I tell them my address (5 mins drive from them)
Them...It can't be done my mate stays in the same estate and the pipework's not suitable, you will get someone who is not local to give you a price but I woulden't do the job.
Me...So it can't be fixed?
Them...We can spend a day on it removing all the radiators and cleaning them out, but we need access to mains pressure water, is there access to an outside tap? We can not guarantee to get them all working if theres blocked pipes (£400).
Me...But thats just a temp fix?
Them...Yeah, you could get it re-piped it but it's messy, the pipes run behind the walls.

FWIW I measured the pipes on the upstairs radiators, there plastic 10mm diameter. My house is 12 years old, I already had the boiler replaced about 5 years ago.

I don't really know what to do here, I need to get it fixed soon.

Should a bite the bullet and get prices for re-piping (how much does this cost?), cleaned for a temp fix, another opinion?

Sponsored Links
what type of system is it combi etc only being 12 yr old ?
pipes behind the walls aren't an issue either is 10mm pipe.

get another quote if you really think it needs a powerflush
but i would expect it to be that serious.

have you checked the trv's on the system ?

Do u have twin entry rad valves ? eg do both pipes go into the same side of the rad ??

Do u have twin entry rad valves ? eg do both pipes go into the same side of the rad ??

B3fzHwQ2kKGrHqUOKikEyZMqnFvZBMmcgQgo_12.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a viessmann combi boiler which replaced the original over 5 years ago.

I asked for a power flush because it broke down earlier in the year and the guy that came out said it needed it.

My view & others may differ ?

I have power flushed micro bore systems but cannot say I was happy doing them ?? always made sure 2 rads were on at all times ? also precise disclaimer to customer ?

Twin entry vaves on rads , I would not do it ?

If I were to hazard a guess I would say that it's probably piped up with non barriered plastic pipe....flushable but no point.

The firm you called don't appear to have a power flusher, power flushing doesn't require the removal of radiators, that's one of the main benefits of a power flush. If you haven't got twin entry valves and haven't got a primatic cylinder or /thermal store then a power flush is quite straight forward. We have power flushed micro bore systems with good results.

I have flushed systems with 8mm copper pipes and twin entry valves with cold mains with great success, cant see why 10mm with single valves should be a problem.

We don't do twin entries due to the possibility of losing all the spreaders in the rads.

The firm you called don't appear to have a power flusher, power flushing doesn't require the removal of radiators, that's one of the main benefits of a power flush. If you haven't got twin entry valves and haven't got a primatic cylinder or /thermal store then a power flush is quite straight forward. We have power flushed micro bore systems with good results.

He diden't say he coulden't power flush it, he said he won't do it due to the pipes.

If I were to hazard a guess I would say that it's probably piped up with non barriered plastic pipe....flushable but no point.

I've had a look at the pipes and they are grey in colour with blue a 'v' printed every 2cm or so, found some markings can't make out the first part '------ class S:10CCU]x1.6mm PB, I think that's what is says as the print is facing the wall and im looking at it with a small mirror.

Sounds like the non barriered stuff we have on an estate around here, you can flush it but it will be back where it was in a year or two. All barriered pipe will have a BS (british standard) number printed along the length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back