Moving aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a loft aerial (old one) and i'm shortly going to have my loft converted so I need my aerial moving. I'm going to buy a new aerial but what are the best connectors to buy for joining or splitting the cable? I currently have two cables connected to my aerial. I was thinking of joining them together and running a single cable to my new aerial positioned in another part of the loft.

Also, is satalite cable the same as aerial cable? Was wondering what the best cable would be to buy.

Many thanks all!

Sponsored Links
No one in the trade except builders use bog standard aerial cable any more. Go for satellite cable. It's better shielded. Look for WF100.

Connectors - Your basic aerial connector is easy to install and good for most standard sized cables. They're a bit big for the twin shotgun cable that Sky use for satellite installs though.

F-Connectors are the screw-on type used for satellite installs and some aerial distribution amps. You get different diameter plugs to suit thick, thin or medium diameter cables. Make sure you get the right size for the cable.

Cables can be joined with back to back connectors. Generally you'd join cables with the same plug type - F connectors or aerial connectors.

You shouldn't just join more than one cable to an aerial, you should always use a proper splitter or amplifier. I'd suggest getting a splitter that uses F connectors as they are less likely to become accidently disconnected. If you put the splitter where the old cables emerge it will also provide a handy way of joining old to new.

Also I hope you have thought about the new location and made sure that the signal doesn't have to pass through your conversion to get to it.

Sponsored Links
Where I want to place my new aerial, the signal should'nt pass through the conversion. I think I will go with the f-type connectors, this sounds simple as I can buy a splitter and an aerial with a f-type connection on it.

One last question, the two old aerial leads are plastered into my wall so I dont really want to use new cables for them. Can these two cables be extended ok if I use f-type connectors and a better quality satalite cable?

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back