Wiring down lights using Ashley j501

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please advise me on the use of these junction boxes, and do I need to be able to pull them down through the ceiling, can I not fix them and have the cable long enough to connect to the fire rated unit?

I have 5 mains down lights with 11 watt bulbs, I intend to daisy chain 5 junction boxes via the terminals marked loop earth and Neutral which each have 3 sections, then run a cable from each JB using the same terminals to the light unit.

Picture and or diagrams always help

Thanks for your help
Martman

Sponsored Links
As long as you can be certain you will always have access to them, then yes you can fix them.

The whole point of the 501's is that you DO NOT need to fix them - they have cord restraint and are designed to be wired below and pushed up into the hole.

If you are talking about a loft, and are clipping the cables to the joists, and fixing joint boxes to the joists with a tail to the down light, as long as the joint boxes and cables are secured, you do not need the expensive 501's - a standard JB would be fine.

A joint box has to be accessible once installed - either from above or by dropping down the down light.

Sponsored Links
Yes they do, but you do not have to use them. They where developed to be used from below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back