Induction hob touch controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has a Beko HII64401T induction hob. When one lifts the pan from the hob the U sign comes up as expected, but within a few seconds this changes to F. Once F is lit whole cooker needs turning off and back on again. Instructions say this should come up when water is split on controls, not when pan is removed.

However with my Belling FSE60i stand-alone cooker with induction hob I can remove the pan take to sink and then return pan and the U sign comes up while the pan is missing but once replaced it continues to work without having to reset anything.

Since my mothers has silly touch controls instead of proper knobs to set the cooker going one has to select at least three touch controls within 10 seconds of each other to switch it on. So it is far harder to control than mine anyway. It states in her instructions as it does in mine “because of it’s operating principle, induction hob responds to the commands immediately. They change the power settings in a quick way. Thus, you may prevent a cooking dish (water, milk) from overflowing by turning off the appliance.” OK with mine quick turn of knob and it’s off. But how one can quickly turn it off when one needs to first select the ring then put finger on down control and wait for it to reduce one number at a time I don’t know? Only quick method is either remove pan or switch ALL areas off.

Mine have a single knob for each area (ring) Detent Anticlockwise (Auto boil), Off, 1 – 9, Detent Clockwise (Power boost). However no timer for areas just the safety features to stop pans overheating (when boiled dry) and auto off if one forgets and goes on holiday with a cooker area left on.

Hers also has holiday safety ranging from 6 hours if set at level 1 to 10 minuets on power boost. Plus a off timer and a auto off in case of pans overflowing the latter are not featured in mine.

So questions:-
1) Is the Beko faulty?
2) Do all touch control induction hobs work same as Beko?
3) Is there a method I have missed to switch off a single ring quickly?

It states:- “If the cooking pan is lifted from the hotplate during cooking, then cooking is interrupted. Selected hotplate level and “U” flash alternatively.” So I guess it’s faulty?

I was so pleased with my induction cooker. But my mothers although it has off timer seems really poor when compared with mine. Would love to hear how others have found their use. I was really singing their praises and found it so much more controllable and safer than gas. Then I tried my mums. What was wrong with simple knob? It’s not the cooking it’s the silly touch controls.

I am sure many domestic electricians have to demo hobs after fitting. So maybe they will know what is expected?

Sponsored Links
Take a pan off a ring on my induction hob and the touch control will flash. Replace the panand after a few seconds it stops flashing and heats again.

Sponsored Links
It is brand new so think it will be returned as faulty. Had I not had one of my own I may not have realised it was a fault.

The induction hob is great. It is the touch controls which cause the problem. I have used ceramic hobs for last 25 years and would not consider any other type. Only one thing that gas excels on is using a WOK. So to me unless you use a WOK then gas is far too dangerous to consider in normal home. When they invent a gas cooker with:-
* A flat surface on which pans are firm and unlikely to tip.
* No naked flame which can cause fires.
* An isolator as with electric which can be operated in same room but away from likely fire danger.
* With auto cut off if left on for extended period.
* With over temperature sensor so will switch off if pan boils dry.
* And with no chance of any dangerous gas escape.
* With hot services no hotter than the items being cooked so minimum chances of being burnt.

Then I may consider gas. But the only way this will happen is to use a converter remote from house which turns gas power into electric.

The new induction hob has two draw backs. It can affect people with pacemakers if they lean over the hob. They are also useless when using a WOK. However the touch controls seem to have a number of faults being slower to use. Affected by spills. And harder to understand. Not a clue why manufactures use touch controls they spoil a good product.

Other than my FSE60i, NEFF 2010, and MIELE CS 1212i the first is stand alone the latter two are only two rings, Induction hob with control knobs seem rare. The only one I can find is the Belling Pbi60r
0104688-0039578-21118.jpg
Unless some one knows of one I have missed?

This is just more evidence that all induction hobs are useless.
No - it's more evidence that prioritising style over function to such an extent that function is compromised is utterly wrong, and it happens when companies listen more to "stylists" and "designers" than they do engineers.

TGUP don't help themselves though by leaving their brains in the car when they park it outside Curmet.

Touch controls always go wrong - anybody who has ever had anything with touch controls knows this.

Whatever you think of inductions hobs the problem here is not the hob - it''s the inappropriate user interface. The controls for an induction hob could be robust, sealed, industrial grade variable resistors with knobs.

Well those who don't like induction hobs will love this. Council had circular on 3rd Nov 2010 not to fit induction hobs for anyone with a pacemaker. Seems although induction hobs comply with regulations the pacemakers don't so the is an EMC problem.
As a result it is being ripped out again after cooking just two meals and being replaced with Halogen hob with knobs on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back