New UPVC windows draughty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, some help please.

I just (three weeks ago)had a local DG window fitter install new windows & doors to whole house, Synseal - Synerjy range. Last week during the high winds the curtains in our bedroom were blowing in the wind. On checking I found all four windows on the front of the house had a draft on the hinged side of the window. Not noticable on the rear of the house windows due to wind direction. As a little test I have been able to slide a piece of paper between the rubber seal and the window just to prove there is a gap.

The front & back doors also have a draft, he came round & tightend up the front door but there is still a draft on the hinged side. There are three hinges, draft is still between the middle & top hinge. (he only popped round & had 15 minutes as the wife had to go out & he had to leave)

Fitter is coming round again tomorrow but I just wanted a heads up as to what they could have done wrong.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you have flag hinges on the door and to be fair they should be then on the top of each hinge under a plastic cap there should be an eccentric allen bolt, with a 6mm allen key (i think) turn this and it should pull the door tighter to the frame, if this was left un touched when fitting then its just how they were pulled out the box at the factory so its worthwhile checking this.

As for the windows sometimes on rather tall openers you can get a slight bow or twist in the tall length of pvc, first make sure they haven't screwed the frame too tight to the wall thus pulling it further away from the opener, check this with a straight edge against the frame, if you haven't got one then stand on something and look down the length to see if you can see a bow, similar to how you would look down a length of timber from jewsons ;) to see if its bent. You can have fitted whats called 'closing wedges', these are two triangular blocks screwed to the frame and opener, as you close the window they rub together and pull the sash tighter against the rubber, other than that theres no other adjustment :confused:

Known here as locking wedges....

http://www.asf-upvc.com/components.html

Crank39, thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

Hopefully the fitter will adjust the doors correctly, if not i'll be out with the allen key.

The windows are just standard size in height though those locking wedges could offer a solution. I'll check if straight edge as well.

One other issue that might be causing probelm is they mentioned no lintel above one bedroom window(house built 1968 so probably original timber window support), does make me wonder if ALL the windows have no lintel.

Thanks again.

NO! Get them to do all adjustments, its what you paid for, now and in future in aftersales service, by all means watch and learn though :D

As for lintels, please don't start me off lol! Only just got over the last lintel thread :confused:

Sponsored Links
Okay I'll keep the pressure on them to fix.

Sorry if I'm going to give you flash backs :evil: but can you show link for the lintel thread or rough date so I can search. I don't know whether to leave brickwork alone as previous 15 years was okay with plastic upvc windows i've just replaced + Missing lintel is on gabel end so not load bearing (other than the 10 courses of bricks sitting on it!)

Update: Installers came & fixed the door dafts. Then for the windows all side hung openers had additional fixings put in (no I don't know what was done, this is what i've been told). Frames checked for bows, all okay.

Some windows now seem okay but yesterday we had a strong easterly blowing on the back of the house & there were drafts in the corners of the hinged side on five windows. Fitter says hinges could be faulty & will contact the manufacturer if they visit & deem the problem to be cold spots then there will be a charge to me.

For me there is definetley drafts, I've checked about three times & can feel the cold air pulsing on back of fingers.

My worry is if the manufacture visits on a calm day they there isn't going to be any draft & blame a cold spot. Any idea on how I can get some proof of a draft ?

record it on video when its windy at night and show them. I stupidly changed the rubber gasket seal on 1 of my windows as it had stretched and now I've got a slight draught getting in on the 2 bottom corners of the windows where it closes. Sometimes I should just leave things alone!

Thanks for the suggestion but the original bedroom windows with blowy curtains is fixed. The problem now is other windows, the drafts are only slight, not enough to blow a curtain. Getting video proof would not be so conclusive as they could say I was blowing or causing my own draft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back