Single Pole or Double Pole sockets - Any preference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having some sockets added downstairs and the elctrician has told me what to get, as I can get discount in a store. He just listed sockets but do I get double poled or single? Didn't think to ask. The house is only a few years old and I think the current sockets are single. But how can i tell?

Sponsored Links
Get double pole. Virtually no difference in price and seems to be standard now for all brands.

Thanks. How can I tell from looking at a socket what I currently have?

In terms of price double pole tend to be a bit dearer.

In terms of use double pole isolates both Line and Neutral at the socket when the switch is off - so for electrical equipment that is left plugged in but not switched on probably a bit safer.

For all rewires and socket changes I always fit double pole.

As for whether it is a single or double pole socket- there might be something marked on the rear of the socket - otherwise you could test it with a multimeter for continuity.

Sponsored Links
The rear of the socket will usually say 'Double pole' or 'DP' on its moulding if it's double pole. Single pole will not.

EDIT: need to type faster...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back