translucent vs clear silicone sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to seal my draughty double glazing - given up and going to silicone the windows to the frames :eek:
Was using 'clear' silicone and it wasn't very noticeable and went on as clear - opened a new one - 'translucent when dry' At the moment it looks bright white - not discreet on 'mahogany' upvc..
So what is the difference between clear and translucent? Will it really dry clear?

Sponsored Links
Translucent means that you will be able to see through it, although some colour could still remain.
Clear means, in this case, to be colourless.
John :)

I know I should have just done a test and waited till it dried ...but just wanted to get this done before I thought better of it...

I put a smear on - and it does seem to be drying clear enough...so have gone for it and done all round the window :eek:

Might be a huge mistake -or might be ok - got to be better than watching the curtains blowing in the breeze!

Just in case anyone else comes up against this - on the dark frames it looks clear enough...as unobtrusive as the 'clear' stuff.

But I also did around the door and then cut it with a stanley knife (so we could open it!) - when I open the door - guess when the light is going through it - the sealant bead looks kind of creamy...I think more obvious than the clear would have done...

Sponsored Links
Draughty double glazing???? How old are these windows?? You'd have to have atrociously ill-fitting units for them to be draughty. My guess is that it won't solve it.

It has actually made them a bit better...candle for draught test actually stays in now!
And apparently problems like this aren't uncommon - and they are a pain to sort out...single glazing would be easier...
On the worst one (kitchen) I could actually see 5mm of daylight between the opening window and the frame...I've filled that with expanding foam, taken the handle off and covered the foam with brown silicone -it is now permanently closed.

I didn't have them installed - done before I lived here -but were still within their 10 year guarantee...however the company that fitted them had disappeared so no come back...
Apparently they are really good quality units but have been very badly fitted (not toe and heeled) and the frames have warped. I can't get anyone to fix them because they are past that...did have someone in but it didn't really improve them. I have spent years trying to sort them out - ..I've put new gaskets on them which helped a bit and run up blocks so all the catches fasten...
It seems such a waste to replace them when the glass units are fine - but probably wouldn't be worth putting these units into new frames...I must be the only person who is desperate for them to start condensing up so I can justify replacing them ...

You can silicon so they will still open, apply silicon to frame with window open, cut strips of plastic,[ bin liner is ideal] and lay over wet silicon, close window and leave 48 hours, carefully peel off plastic and you will be left with a perfect fit.The plastic stops the window sticking to the frame.

Thanks for that - it seems a brilliant idea
- have to admit my knife cut on the door seal wasn't that neat and I managed to nick a bit of the gasket...haven't done them all - just the worst - so I'll give it a go...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back