Spotlight Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

First time here ( and with my skills probably not the last!).

Anyway had spotlights fitted in the bathroom around 5 months ago, but recently sometimes one of them would flicker on and off before coming on. Since yesterday however three out of the four have stopped working completely. Any ideas what it could be?

p.s 2 pin 50w 240 i think.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Sponsored Links
Flickering suggests a loose connection (have you checked the bulbs haven't died, always the first port of call). If the lights are daisy-chained one loose conenction would take out all the lights downstream. If they're actually 12V you could be looking at dead transformer(s).

PJ

Thanks for the quick reply pj.

Just checked and bulbs dont work. They are 12v by the way. Will they each have a seperate transformer. Just wondering as 1 works and the other 3 dont. Whats the chnace of 3 transformers going out at the same time?

oh and is chnaging a transformer a straightforward clip off and clip on job?

Sponsored Links
Usually they'll have a transformer each, but there might be two larger transformers with two lights each, I have seen one big 'un for four lights, unlikely that you've got a one and a three (but you never know ...). Wouldn't expect anything simple like clip-on connections, more likely screw terminals, with a range of junction boxes, connector blocks etc, depending on who did the job. Three gone is more likely to just be dead bulbs. Of course, all in at the same time, could be all the transfomers are going at the same time, but these should last several years, while the bulbs can go after a few months. If the transformers are buried under insulation they'll overheat, which will (a) kill 'em quick and (b) make for a potential fire hazard.

You either need to go exploring in the loft or call it quits and get in a sparky.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back