Ideal Response 120 not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an Ideal Response 120 combi boiler - it must be about 11 years old. For the last fortnight the heating and hot water had been temperamental - sometimes it would work and sometimes not, sometimes the ignition light would come on and then immediately go off again. It was worse in the morning when it was colder - most evenings the hot water would work.

Yesterday it wouldn't work at all, it had dropped right down pressure wise and I topped it up to 2 having read on another thread that as they get older the pressure needs to be higher. Still no heating or hot water.

When I turn the hot tap on the boiler makes all the right (normal) noises as if it is about to ignite but doesn't. If I try to turn up the heating at the thermostat to make the boiler turn on nothing happens.

Is there anything simple that I could try? I haven't taken the front panel off yet but am a fairly competent DIY-er so if there are any simple tests I could do before calling someone out I would be grateful for any tips.

Sponsored Links
Call a gas engineer this is not a boiler id say have a look at this or that, there a pain in the arse my bet is a leaking heat exchanger!!!

Ah, OK. Best start saving then. It has been a perfectly behaved boiler for the last 11 years!

as said..penny toa pound your after a new heat exchanger. £400 ish t=for it plus labout iirc. if its not that, make sure that when the boiler is repaired, that it has the sfety thermostat update that was required a few years back.

you may be lucky, as i did dee one the other day that was at about 8 years old and hadnt had a new heat exchanger.

Sponsored Links
Most of the ones I knew have been replaced including one at 3½ years that I fitted at the specific request of the owner with my warning!

Its most likely that the HE is leaking. Its often said that the replacement HEs are not available.

A British Gas fixed price repair would be a better bet if the part is still available.

It might just be the ignition module though. Or a wrongly set spark gat if its never been serviced.

Tony

A British Gas fixed price repair would be a better bet if the part is still available.
Tony

i better not end up with this :LOL:

agile is right though. as ;omg as the boiler is safely installed then you would probably be quids in, quite literally.

response h/e is easy as long as flue comes off. a bit heavy though :LOL:

Perhaps it is easy, but do you know if the part is available this month?

on my laptop the response range is still fully service listed. i know i've never had an issue geting one of these before. maybe just eng's bullshitting to get out of doing the job :rolleyes:

there was a shortage some years ago.

surprised they are still available. nothing else uses them and there can't be that many of these turds left now.

i blame you for not getting the leads in then. :LOL:

****, ive put in about 8 leads in th last 2 weeks, ive cut off at least 6 boilers. i dont even cut 6 off in 6 months usually. :LOL: vertex flues leakingx2, myson orion rotted through, flaming rotted through, 35 year old etype spilling can t remember the others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back