Need info on old boiler and advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have a Ideal ELAN 2 Propane Fanned Flue Gas Boiler, 80F P.
How old is this Boiler?
I spent £900 on LPG last year in a 3 bedroom house, I didn't think it was to bad. It makes like a boiling noise when the setting is on high (bit like a kettle). No noise on low setting and works well.
I have had 2 people out to give me a quote on new boiler as they were not interested in looking at my boiler as it was to old, they want £3000, and should save around £150 a year. Pay back works out at 20 years, less with price increases I know.

Any advise

regards

john

Sponsored Links
If yours is knackered, which not being able to get service for it may dictate, then 'payback' doesn't come into it. Shop around or keep what you've got.

Not the kind of answer I was after. It isn't knackered otherwise it would be working. The engineers didn't even look at the boiler they just wanted me to buy a new one.

Sponsored Links
What could be the problem with it making the noise I described in high setting. I would prefer to get this one fixed than buy a new one

Kettling is boiling of the water in the heat exchanger in localised pockets caused by scaly deposits. It requires deep cleaning. The reason you'll find engineers reluctant may be because of the likely occurrence that something goes wrong and the heat exchanger cracks, splits or pinholes in the process with you demanding a FOC boiler.

just find someone willing to service it and look after it. Its prob in the region of 15-20yrs old. Kettling is quite common in old boilers. You can try chemically cleaning the system but its not a major problem. no reason to change the boiler, and no reason why someone shouldnt service it.

Hi all.
I have a Ideal ELAN 2 Propane Fanned Flue Gas Boiler, 80F P.
How old is this Boiler?
I spent £900 on LPG last year in a 3 bedroom house, I didn't think it was to bad. It makes like a boiling noise when the setting is on high (bit like a kettle). No noise on low setting and works well.
I have had 2 people out to give me a quote on new boiler as they were not interested in looking at my boiler as it was to old, they want £3000, and should save around £150 a year. Pay back works out at 20 years, less with price increases I know.

Any advise

regards

john

What did you get them out for?

To look at my system and recommend what I should do.

So I take it that this kettling is not dangerous?

Can someone explain how I clean it or do I ask around again for a pro?

It sounds as if you invited them round for free advice so that you could do it yourself.

We cannot make a living if everyone did that.

They should have checked the input power as that may be set too high. Reducing it, if permitted by the manufacturer, will reduce the kettling.

If you add Sentinel X200 to the system after closing off the largest rads then it might reduce/stop the noise after a few hours operation.

You can even leave the stuff in the system.

Lime scale in the boiler might follow someone who has regularly drained and refilled the system.

Tony

To look at my system and recommend what I should do.

So I take it that this kettling is not dangerous?

Can someone explain how I clean it or do I ask around again for a pro?

A properly conducted powerflush will stop it, probably. Or, initially, try some sytem hush. Kettling isn't dangerous, but annnoying, and does affect efficiency, but the boiler isn't efficient annyway

I did ask them round for free advise. Thats what they are there for isn't it.
If they said I need a new part, I would have said cool, fix it.
If they said I need to flush the system, I would have said cool, do it.
But for a saving of £150 a year I am reluctant to pay out £3000 for a new boiler if there is not much wrong with my current one.

I take it I add the x200 into the header tank of the radiators? and then drain out the system to make sure the stuff gets to the system?

Thanks for all the advise

johnjones323";p="1804449 said:
I did ask them round for free advise. Thats what they are there for isn't it.

No, they are not there for free anything.

When I visit, it is either a SALES visit, or a REPAIR visit. Repair visits are chargeable, even for identifying a fault. If you decline the quote for further work, then we just charge for the visit. A SALES visit is preceded by a converstion on the phone, or in our shop. This determines exactly why you are calling us out, so if you get us out on the pretext of a sales visit, we are not going to inspect boilers and give advice.

I'm not suggesting that you neccesarily did that, but the italicised comment does irritate me. How often do you go to your bosses clients or your clients and give advice for free. I must try that with my accountant

I phone them up, I tell them my problem, I ask for a solution. They say they will come out to look at my system and give me a recommendation free of charge.

HOW IS THIS NOT DESCRIBED AS "FREE ADVISE"?

Like I said If they would have come up with something reasonable I would have gone with it. If they would have even looked at my boiler and said it was knackered I would have bought a new one and I would be on this site.

They simply wanted to sell me a new boiler, now that irritate's me

I dont know why you guys are having a go at the op, the guys who came out were just simply interested in throwing another boiler in its their problem. I get that all the time round my way, it gets me alot of work. usually because Im the only one prepared to service the boiler, chuck a bottle of chemical in the system and leave it be. Another customer on the books ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back