Sealing Drafty Floating Boarded Lounge Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of redecorating my lounge. The floor is a floating, boarded floor which is very drafty with gaps between each of the boards with noticeable amounts of air movement below.

As part of the redecorating, I'm wanting to seal the floor so as to reduce the draft as, obviously, this is making the room harder to heat.

I was thinking of putting some thick tape across the gaps in the boards but is there anything better I could do? I was also considering adding insulation underneath the boards to reduce the air movement - would this be advisable?

Thanks in advance,
Kev

Sponsored Links
I live in a similar house....

It would have meant major upheaval to insulate underneath (clearly you have to lift the floor first)

Before we laid the carpet we overboarded with 6mm ply, I reckon the room is a good 10degrees warmer now!!! - simples

Thanks for your reply.

Fortunately, the previous owners (or ones before that) added the central heating system and made a shoddy job of lifting the floorboards. Most are not attached to the joists so it should be easy to add some insulation.

I like the idea of overboard with 6mm ply though as it would give a nice, flat surface to lay the new flooring on.

Thanks again,
Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back