Ring trip problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my home number is called, the phone rings once and then goes silent, although the connection is made. The caller hears one ring and a lot of noise then, after about 5 secs, the line goes quiet. I can make calls out. I have found the BT master box in the loft and connected a new, corded phone which responds properly when my number is dialled - I therefore assume the problem is downstream of the BT master box. There are two cables coming out of the bottom of the master box. One goes to an extension socket (1) in an upstairs room where it terminates, the other goes to a second extension socket (2) in an upstairs room; from this extension a cable runs down inside the wall. Upstairs I have one more extension socket (3) with cable coming in and going out and downstairs I have 2 more extensions sockets - one with cable coming in and going out (4) and the other (5) with just the cable coming in and terminating (this is an MK extension socket with a capacitor).

I have a router with ADSL filter fitted to an extension cable fitted to extension socket (3) and a cordless phone fitted with filter to extension socket (5).

I have tried the line (using the new corded phone) with everything disconnected and the problem is still there.

I have checked all the extensions which all appear to be sound.

There is nothing I can think of that may have caused any damage to the extensions.

I have 2 BT cables coming into the house (one is an old line which is not used anymore and comes into its own brown, oval shape junction box in the loft and then down to a separate master socket). They appear to be touching as they run from the house to the pole-mounted box in the street. Could that cause the problem (as I think this problem arose after a weekend of stormy weather)?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely to be related to the second line if you can clear the fault by disconnecting your internal wiring. Start by splitting your wiring by removing the wires from one socket somewhere near the middle, say, and work outwards if that clears the fault, or backwards towards the NTE if it doesn't.

Water damage is among the usual suspects, causing insulation to break down when the higher voltage ringing current is applied to the line, tripping the ringing, then returning to normal after making a few 'frying egg' noises.

Water can enter cables via a nick in the sheath, and travel a fair distance, even upwards sometimes, before making it's presence felt.

It sounds like something is amiss anyway if you have an NTE AND a master socket (the one with a capacitor) connected. The presence of multiple NTEs / master sockets can adversely affect both speech and ADSL signals.

Thanks, I'll give it a go - tomorrow! I assume you do mean physically remove the wires from the IDCs.

Whilst a second "master" socket seems odd, the system has been in place for a few years (although I've only been in the house a few months) and worked okay until recently.

Sponsored Links
Problem solved. Fault was in one of the first extensions after the BT master box. Re-wired it with a new faceplate and all okay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back