Is it worth installing TVR's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an old 15 year boiler, but don't belive it is worth it to upgrade due to the payback time required. I currently have no TVR's. Is it worth installing? do they really save money?

I understand they shut of radiators but the boiler will still work until the thermostat turns it off?

Another question, are triple radiators more efficient than double or just produce more heat due to more surface?

Sponsored Links
TRV'S are good as they allow you to control individual areas.
If you have a well balanced heating & more people than usual come into the room the trv will turn the rad off so the comfort level is maintained.
If you want to turn the heating down its a lot easier with trv, you only need a fracton of a turn.

Heat output from a rad is achieved by a few factors & 1 of them is surface area.

Sponsored Links
I'm only interested if it ends up saving money, and I'm not sure that it does?

Why are you not sure. If a rads heats the room less you're saving money.

The only reason not to fit them is if your rads are undersized and you'd end up leaving them on max anyway

If you can DIY it you will save money eventually..but you must consider the comfort level.

If you cant do it yourself...forget it.

I wonder how much it would cost to install a TVR in my garage?

Is it worth installing? do they really save money?
Have you got a room thermostat and timer? that's the first thing.

Are any of your rooms a bit too warm while others are still too cool?

then IMO the cost of buying and installing TRVs will not get a worthwhile payback.

It is worth fitting them when you fit new or replacement radiators or valves, because there is no extra labour required.

Thanks JohnD,
Have you an advise on if I should have the boiler on high or low setting. High setting warms radiators warmer and thermostat turns off quicker, low setting radiators still warm but takes longer to turn off. Which method is cheaper in your opinion.

with an older, non-modulating, non-condensing boiler, I don't know. I have an idea they last longer if not run at max temp. I am a householder not a pro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back