Replace consumer unit (flat with econ 7) - advise on models?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to move my consumer unit from the bedroom to hallway (this shares the same internal wall). As it's an old consumer unit I'm looking to replace it with a new version.

I have a small 2 bedroom flat, purpose built 15-20 years ago with economy 7 electrical supply. I have 2 storage heaters and an immersion boiler wired to the off-peak supply.

As the new consumer unit will be located in the hallway, I'd like it to be as plain looking as possible (ie no grey frosted plastic cover).

Would anyone know some appropriate consumer units for economy 7 dual tariff which are "prettier" than the grey frosted cover versions?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Here's what I currently have...

Sponsored Links
The current range of Hager boards are excellent, and also look good as they have a plain cover and are a 'magnolia' sort of colour.

A 'flushed in' version is also available.

It seems to me that you're about to bite off more than you can chew. What do you intend to do with that m/c cutout chamber directly below that dual-tariff board?

Leave it where it is and fit a box over it...

Lucia

Would anyone know some appropriate consumer units for economy 7 dual tariff which are "prettier" than the grey frosted cover versions?
The electrician who you pay to move the CU for you will.

And he'll be able to get it for less than you, so you might as well have him supply it as well as install it.

Sponsored Links
The current range of Hager boards are excellent, and also look good as they have a plain cover and are a 'magnolia' sort of colour.

A 'flushed in' version is also available.

Thanks sparkwright. I had a look at the website and saw the replacement covers so that's definitely on the short list.

I heard of Mk Sentry units as well. Do you know if they are the same quality as Hager?

MK used to be one of the best available, but their quality seems to have tailed off some what recently.

Still, their flush mounted CUs look pretty good if a little on the large size.

IMGP3478.jpg

It seems to me that you're about to bite off more than you can chew. What do you intend to do with that m/c cutout chamber directly below that dual-tariff board?

Leave it where it is and fit a box over it...

Lucia

Don't quite know what you're getting at? The chamber below the board is where the cable enters the consumer unit. This will be just poked through the wall to the other side then the holes plastered.

Do you really want to go to the trouble of moving all that?

I would have thought a consumer unit in a cupboard in a bedroom is less unsightly than having it in the hall.

And he'll be able to get it for less than you, so you might as well have him supply it as well as install it.

The quotes from the electricians for the works (more than just moving the CU) have ranged from £900 to £3500 so I thought it prudent to get an understanding of exactly what I need to enable a fair evaluation between the quotes.

He/she may be able to get it for cheaper than me but I've heard that sort of argument from a used car salesman before and I didn't jump at his offer without some of my own research.

I'll take it you don't know of any CU that don't contain the grey frosted cover!!

Do you really want to go to the trouble of moving all that?

I would have thought a consumer unit in a cupboard in a bedroom is less unsightly than having it in the hall.

Ideally no, but space is at a premium and the current location prevents us installing built ins in the bedroom.

A plain coloured CU wouldn't be too obvious in the location we've chosen.

These brands of consumer units are available with plain covers (not transparent):
Square D
Hager
Volex
Control Gear Direct
MK
GE
MEM / Eaton
and probably several others as well.

However, the cost of the consumer units will be small compared to the cost of installing them.
They won't be a standard preconfigured 'off the shelf' item as found in DIY sheds either - the individual components will need to be selected and purchased separately.

Would the person who voted that down care to advance a rational and reasoned explanation of why I should not have made the post?

The quotes from the electricians for the works (more than just moving the CU) have ranged from £900 to £3500 so I thought it prudent to get an understanding of exactly what I need to enable a fair evaluation between the quotes.
Ask them to itemise their quotes.

The cost of the CU itself, and the difference between makes, cannot be the reason for the variation in the quotes you've had.

He/she may be able to get it for cheaper than me but I've heard that sort of argument from a used car salesman before and I didn't jump at his offer without some of my own research.
When you get the itemised quotes you'll be able to see which CU each guy is proposing to provide and what he is proposing to charge. Bear in mind that even if he's adding a markup you still won't save money by buying it yourself because if you take away a portion of his earnings by denying him the profit on the CU he'll just add that onto his labour charge.

I'll take it you don't know of any CU that don't contain the grey frosted cover!!
Yes, but I can't tell your electrician what to provide.

Would the person who voted down the post I made above please provide a rational, intelligent and reasoned explanation of just what was unacceptable about the following statements?:

1. Ask them to itemise their quotes.
  2. The cost of the CU itself, and the difference between makes, cannot be the reason for the variation in the quotes you've had.
  3. When you get the itemised quotes you'll be able to see which CU each guy is proposing to provide and what he is proposing to charge. Bear in mind that even if he's adding a markup you still won't save money by buying it yourself because if you take away a portion of his earnings by denying him the profit on the CU he'll just add that onto his labour charge.
  4. Yes, but I can't tell your electrician what to provide.

Or was your action not something which even you can manage to present as rational, intelligent or reasoned?

Don't quite know what you're getting at? The chamber below the board is where the cable enters the consumer unit. This will be just poked through the wall to the other side then the holes plastered.

Just poke a live cable, 230 volts with at least a 60Amp fuse. Short that cable out as you "just poke" it through the wall and it makes a very big bang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back