Stud wall not straight can I stick plasterboard to wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I am putting fresh plasterboard on a stud wall that is not straight.

Would it be possible to slap drywall adhesive on all the wood struts, level out the boards then secure with drywall screws when the adhesive has dried?

Cheers, Ian.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys I am putting fresh plasterboard on a stud wall that is not straight.

Would it be possible to slap drywall adhesive on all the wood struts, level out the boards then secure with drywall screws when the adhesive has dried?

Cheers, Ian.

I'd guess it was possible, but doesn't quite feel the right-tool-for-the-job.
Adhesive is good at sticking to brick/blockwork. I know you'll follow up with drywall screws after, but doesn't feel quite right somehow.

Would attaching wooden spacers/packing at appropriate points to the studwork not be better? These could be secured & plumbed up.
Then you can at least crack on with screwing the board without waiting for adhesive to harden.
Just my 4p worth.

Would attaching wooden spacers/packing at appropriate points to the studwork not be better? These could be secured & plumbed up.
Then you can at least crack on with screwing the board without waiting for adhesive to harden.
Just my 4p worth.
That’s what I’d do.

Thanks for the replies guys that was my first though too but I was looking for something a bit quicker without being a bodge!

The problem I have is the wood is not straight going up floor to ceiling but also the outside two uprights are further into the stud partition than the middle two so you end up with a sort of semi-circle thing going on!

Hugely frustrating! :cool:

Sponsored Links
how much would you say the wall is out? you could always double board if the walls out that much, d&d the second layer to get it level, is there any reason why you cant straighten the wall out before boarding?

use a straight edge nearly the size of the frame and put your level against it to make sure its level.then do what the other say use packers to bring the wall out.

The people who built my house clearly believed that spirit levels and plumblines were the work of the Devil.
They felt the same about squares and straightedges.
sounds like a man called jack built your house, but in any case you could go in any house with a level a square and a straight edge and find that all the walls are out, i have yet to see a house yet that is plum square

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back